Portable depthfinder / bottom machine

• I've done a bit of looking, but can't seem to find what I want. Do any of you kayak guys know of a relatively inexpensive bottom machine suitable for a kayak? It seems like it would need to be a bit more waterproof than typical electronics in case the boat gets flipped. It would be really great if it ran off a smaller battery pack, instead of a typical deep cycle 12V battery.

• This is the one I had. Never used it enough to know what happens if it flips, but it's supposed to be waterproof. You can see the battery pack I rigged for it. I think that model was around $100 at Basspro. Through the hull transducer is the way to go BTW.

• Tin Man--This is my big chance to give you a little something in return for all you have done for me and spearing.
    I have a Humminbird PiranhaMAX 215 Portable complete with instructions, transducer and original box and an 8AA battery holder from Radio Shack (size of a cigarette pack) that I can ship to you if you want it. This is the set up I was using last year on my yak and it works great. I mounted the 8AA onto the back of the 215 and the whole unit complete is a very compact 5 1/2H X 5 W X 3in front to back including battery pack. I put this into a see through dry bag and just run the transducer wire out the top.
    I can ship it to you if you want it.
    Hope this helps

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220675546534+&item=220675546534#ht_500wt_922

http://www.radioshack.com/prod…dex.jsp?productId=2062242

• I brought that same unit to La Paz a couple years back. It gets the job done for finding structure. I rigged up a PVC pipe with the transducer connected that could be lowered off the side of the boat when looking for the spot and stored when running.

• i think hau's unit is a lot nicer, but the eagle cuda 250 s/map is what I use and it was about 200 bucks when I got it..gps, chartplotter and FF and i use a small 8amh 12v battery that runs the whole unit for like 15 hours without a break...way longer than i want to be out in my yak :D

i like to spear fish

• i think hau's unit is a lot nicer, but the eagle cuda 250 s/map is what I use and it was about 200 bucks when I got it..gps, chartplotter and FF and i use a small 8amh 12v battery that runs the whole unit for like 15 hours without a break...way longer than i want to be out in my yak :D

I found the 350 on ebay for like 170. Looks nice, I may be picking that up soon. Definitely like the map/trip plotter for the everglades/10k islands trips.

• I found the 350 on ebay for like 170. Looks nice, I may be picking that up soon. Definitely like the map/trip plotter for the everglades/10k islands trips.

for real man...they dont call it the river of grass for nothing...getting lost isnt easy, it is guaranteed hahaha

i like to spear fish

• That is no joke man; I have been out with a map (when much younger) and still had a few moments of uncertainty :confused1:.