Another new PB today (Halibut)

• Probably my favorite fish to eat, but I've yet to spear one. I'd sure like to hear the story!
    Ron.

• Probably my favorite fish to eat, but I've yet to spear one. I'd sure like to hear the story!
    Ron.

Ok fine...

So, it was last week on Friday. My buddy Brett and my self had just got diving the day before were I shot that toad Calico that went 8.5lbs in LJ. On Saturday we went back to that spot to go look for WSB but, unfortunately once again the conditions just didn't permit for them. So we decided to check other spots near by for better conditions. nothing looked good.

We stop at a particular cove we the viz looked a little better then the other place but actually it is mostly reef and is very shallow (no deeper then 35ft). At this point Brett is over the idea of diving but I'm pumped. I said "Dude I'm getting in and shooting some Rockfish whether you like it or not" he's all "fine lets go..." so we got in right around slack tide. I jumped in about 3ft of water and right away I spotted a giant Cab. Easily a new PB for me if I did wiffffff on stabbing it haha. So long story shot on that guy...he got away.

I was probably in the water for another 30 more minutes after that when I found my self right over a perfect patch of sand no bigger then a pick up truck. I'm thinking to my self "If there is going to halibut anywhere in this cove he or she is going to be right here somewhere". So I dive down to about 30ft and right away I see a giant tail showing right under a little patch of eel grass. I'm thinking to my self "this fish has to big because, I have shot a lots of halibut in my life (18 last summer) and non of them had this big of a tail. So, not being able to see the rest of the body I aimed 1ft in front the tail and pulled the trigger. Bammmm! I thought I stoned him until I grabed the other end of the mono and he dragged me about 20 ft underwater haha. That was fun. Once I was able to get close enough to the fish I pinned it to the sand with one hand and with the other stabbed my knife right in it brain. Put him on the stringer and thought the fight was over. Oh was I wrong. This was probably the most crucial time of the fight. I have one of those stab stick stringers and I threaded it threw its gills and out it mouth. all at once the fish gave one last fight and managed to pull the metal stabber out of my waitbelt and was only about one kick away from being home free. I THOUGHT BRAINING THE THING WAS THE END OF IT BUT I WAS WRONG! I literately had to get my hands in its gills, bear hug it as tight as I could then rip both its gills out. That time the fish died for good.

Once they get that big they become very strong fish!

I was fricking stoked once I got him out of the water and saw just how big it was. They truly never get old to shot and let alone just see under water.

~Hut