Islamorada March19 Huge African

• Today was another great day in the keys. We hunted deep wrecks again.

After shooting some yellow jacks. I dropped onto the deck of a wreck in 110ft and layed in wait for the fish we had passed on earlier this week (due to regulation questions)! As soon as I was ready to surface from the dive, I saw 2 fish swimming right toward me.

I pushed through the contractions and she turned broadside 15 ft from me. I hammered her in the pec fin and out the other gill plate! She dragged me into the wreck and I managed to turn her toward the surface. Just before I hit the surface for a breath, she sounded once more. I looked up at my dive buddy and thought thank god! He spotted me to the surface giving me the confidence I needed. Finally I took those 6 crucial breaths. Then screamed to the boat HUGE AFRICAN come fast!!!!!.

She pulled and pulled finally I had her in my hand and placed my knife into her skull! She was mine! As I through her onto the boat, everyone around fishing us let out a couple cheers.

After a great photo session she was measured and filleted for a great fish fry! She was between 42-47llbs and was my goal for the year! And it was all on film! Next is my 300+ blue marlin that I will shoot in St Thomas or the DR this fall.!

Thanks to Dan for a great wet suit, kill knife, and go pro!

Michael

• Yeah, Ben

I wish I knew how to post facebook pics on here, but I just fish for a living!

• I didn't mean to diminish it in any way. Not many people can dive that deep, I just want to bask in his awesomeness. :notworthy1:

• I was laying on the deck at 80ft. Thats my max hunting depth. Hopefully I'll be hunting 110 by the end of the summer.

• Nice fish. I wish the picture was larger.

Be careful trying to dive too deep too fast. 80ft and 110ft is a completely different animal when hunting on breathhold. When you add 10ft to your depth, you are going an extra 20ft in distance and of course more negative pressure. Freediving is no big deal because you are just touch and go.

• Nice fish. I wish the picture was larger.

Be careful trying to dive too deep too fast. 80ft and 110ft is a completely different animal when hunting on breathhold. When you add 10ft to your depth, you are going an extra 20ft in distance and of course more negative pressure. Freediving is no big deal because you are just touch and go.

x2.

Be careful. Nice fish.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Just so you dont worry. I know deeper dives are dangerous.

We are diving in a rotation of 3 divers each has received rescue and safety classes from PFI or FFI. 1 Surface, 1 Camera man/safety, and 1 diver. That is when every we are hunting deeper than 45ft.

While diving under 45 ft we are in pairs alternating dives with minimum surface time that is 3x the dive time.

Michael