reel for railgun

• Mako just came out with a pretty nice horizontal reel that fits on railguns. $90 spooled with line $55 empty.

:toast:

Edit- Just saw you don't want to drill holes.. That will be tough to get a good bond. Maybe epoxy and some some self tapping screws. That way you aren't drilling the holes.. ;)

Long Beach Neptune

USCG 50GT

• Luxemburg,

Thanks for posting that. I am going for that "Barracuda Reel" for sure, if for no other reason than that he made it. Did you see the fish that he shot? That guy is the king of freedive spearfishing!

• Yes Barry is a very good spearfisherman and a great person. I think there is 3 generations of Australian representative spearfisherman in his family.

I have two of his reels, 1 for railgun and 1 for woodie.

• i was thinking the same thing Dan...I am not a reel user so i am woefully ignorant.

to me a reel is at the least a line storage device or at most a fish fighting aid and anything in between.

I would want as simple a reel as possible to I could avoid any issues withthe reel failing on me. but if you have a good reel that does has an adjustable drag, and can be adjusted quickly and under pressure, then it can add to your ability to fight and subdue a fish as well...in theory. i would be concerned that any extra features would involve more moving parts and thus more to break...I like Ddonnell's approach actually to the KISS standard...

anyone with a reel have any insights?

i like to spear fish

• I am sorry to go off topic, but why are you against drilling to mount to reel?

I would have no issues with drilling a wooden gun, but I dont want to drill a hole on a metal rail gun (Roballen) due to water intrusion, corrosion, and affecting the flotation.

• Guys, assuming the Paxman reel is very good, do you think $130 is a reasonable price to pay? Would you buy it at that price? I mean is there nothing comparable in performance on the market for less?

I dont think so. No washers bearings or anything else that can go wrong.

yellowfin tuna, dog tooth tuna, wahoo, mackerel and more have been landed with these reels.

Alot of that has to do with the guys using them but are the best reel I have seen.
    In australia we pay around that for an RA composite so its no big deal, plus if the Paxman breaks you have excellent service.

Have a look at the thread and see if you would use any other reel if you were catching fish like this all the time.
    theres even a tiger shark in there.