shooting line set up

• ive watched a few more of the videos and now i see its the shooting line goes straight to the reel with no eyelet up front.. does anyone else do this? seems like it would put a lot of strain on the reel from too many diff. directions

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• Same set up I use. I run 3/4 wrap of cable to a pigtail that is attached to my 3mm reel line on a vertical reel. The main benefit for me is that if there is a kink or knot in your shooting line, the gun won't be yanked out of your hand as the knot tries to pass through the guide. I use my hand as my line guide and drag.

This method utilizes the K.I.S.S method to the fullest.

:toast:

Long Beach Neptune

USCG 50GT

• I can grip the line or the bottom of the reel and use my palm as a friction surface if it gets bad. I wear 3mm gloves with a kelvar palm, so no burns there. Most the time if I'm using a reel, I'm going for WSB or reef fish that I let take as much as they want. I run breakaway setups in Mex for yellowtail and other pelagics/groupers.

Long Beach Neptune

USCG 50GT

• I would think the risk of entanglement would be greater around the feet/fins if the fish ran under me. I don't know because I don't use that setup I just like the idea of it going through the guide at the end of the gun providing that extra separation from my body. donnell does that seem logical or is it never really a problem?

• Never been much of an issue here in CA. The fish will tangle in kelp on its initial run so its not much of a chance of the fish coming back.

Long Beach Neptune

USCG 50GT

• I always thought it was better Not to have the Reel line running through any eyelets up barrel on the gun. The reason is that this puts the line closer to the stickiest things around.. The bands. I want my line as far away from those bands as possible. As long as you are using a Sturdy Reel... it will work out fine. As far as line burns.. I've got holes in all my gloves, Kevlar, leather, synthetics, reinforced, etc... luckily I have some thick skin in that place where the line goes.. you can palm the reel, but in the true, when that reel is unloading a 5Omph, I don't want my fingers near it either. I just suffer the line burns and wear them with pride.

• I always thought it was better Not to have the Reel line running through any eyelets up barrel on the gun. The reason is that this puts the line closer to the stickiest things around.. The bands. I want my line as far away from those bands as possible. As long as you are using a Sturdy Reel... it will work out fine. As far as line burns.. I've got holes in all my gloves, Kevlar, leather, synthetics, reinforced, etc... luckily I have some thick skin in that place where the line goes.. you can palm the reel, but in the true, when that reel is unloading a 5Omph, I don't want my fingers near it either. I just suffer the line burns and wear them with pride.

spoken like a warrior...a smart warrior :D

i like to spear fish