Marseilles style knife straps are better

• Ive never used the marseille style but I have the quick release style and I have no complaints. The buckles hold and are plenty comfortable as well as easy to put on and take off. I think they have the advantage of being able to be unclipped in the event that the knife and sheath get tangled.

The marseille ones look to be slightly less bulky but not a significant amount. I wouldnt want to have either in a place that rubs a lot. They also look like they hold the size a little better. I have had the straps slip a little on the buckle style but nothing significant. Just not as tight at the end of a dive. The holes are pretty close so I would say adjustment isnt a big issue the only worry I would have is if the hole that fit best tore from wear then you would need new straps.

Maybe its just me but the strap style seems a little trivial. There may be a slight advantage of one or the other but I dont see it making a big deal either way.

What caused you to think of this?

• I kinda like this clip style... the one on the sheath, not the one in background.

Main reason I like clip style is that I can trim tag ends & not have to worry about tucking tag ends in.

• Quick release all the way. Might not be the most comfortable or adjustable, but the sure do release quick...

Just in case.

:toast:

Long Beach Neptune

USCG 50GT

• The straps fuzz pointed out are good, I think they are made of some kind of cloth. They are flexible and comfortable. The quick release ones in Dan's first post are a PITA, the rubber can pull out of the buckles.

I look forward to trying the Marseille straps.

Alex

• I think I like the belt ones better. Easier to make sure they fit just right and adjust from diver to diver or suit to suit.

It is not uncommon for me to start the day in a 3mm pant and full top and be in a rashguard/Lycra suit by two pm.

i like to spear fish

• On that note I'll chime back in. I agree with LB. For me in part it's the retro look of the belt style straps, I just like it. For those who never paid it much thought and just accept the now conventional quick release plastic buckle style straps, consider the following. Those plastic buckles are a PITA to adjust, if you've done it you know. It takes a few tries to get it to the right length. If you change a wetsuit or take off the wetsuit, you have to adjust the straps all over again. Even when adjusted to be moderately tight the plastic buckles pinch the skin and hair when you connect them. For those reasons I prefer the belt style straps. They are easy to adjust on the go, and release just as quickly if necessary, like the rubber marseilles weight belt which inexperienced divers don't consider to be a quick release safe belt when in reality it's quicker to release than the conventional plastic weight belt buckle.

That said I've used the plastic buckle straps in my first post for a long time, and never had a problem with a strap pulling out of the buckle. Maybe it's because I don't adjust the straps too tight, but I can't imagine anyone using the straps so tight as it would affect blood circulation and eventually become uncomfortable.

I was going to go exclusively with the belt style straps, but it's clear to me now that there will be guys who prefer one style or the other. So I'll add a strap choice to the knives.

• A little tip for guys with hairy legs that use a knife on their leg. I hate how the rubber straps pull the hairs so I have started wearing shinguard sleeves.

They are elastic and dont slip so they make a nice barrier. They make them small enough that you can use them on your arm if you wanted to.

• I love to use the compression gear when excersizing, I have a pair of the ones from 2XU. How much are those Nikes?

• Idk. I just used it for a picture :). I had some off brand ones from when I played soccer. they arent expensive though. I think like 10-15 for a pair.

• They are only lycra but if you used two of them or got them kinda small you could put a sheath inside. Another option Jeff would be to us the leg of an old wetsuit. They are tight and it might be possible to sew a sheath into one.

They have good compression which is what they are designed for but there might be an issue when you pull the knife out. Im sure with a few prototypes there could be a new product (I want half the profit!!!) :D

• I have had good luck attaching things to Lycra by making a sandwich around the item of neoprene and using aquaseal to bind the two pieces together with the Lycra in between.

i like to spear fish

• One of the ideas I had a while back, but never got around to trying, was to attach a small knife sheath directly to an elastic sleeve that would easily slip onto the forearm or maybe upper arm. I just thought it would be a comfortable attachment, that would be easy to get on and off. I bought a cheap arm band for the older MP3 players, but lost if before I could try the idea.

Your idea for the shinguard sleeve just sort of bubbled the idea back to the front of my brain.

• I do not understand why anyone would attach a knife to their leg or arm. It just seems like it could not be easy to get to when you need to get to it. I put mine on my belt and wear it in the center covering my belly button and lower unit. Easy to get to with either hand and not in the way. Just saying...:toast: