Ideal reef gun for Florida

• Hi all, I'm really interested in getting into spearfishing and freediving. I've been doing research on guns and realize that it ultimately comes down to personal preference. Could you guys tell me what is your ideal setup/configuration and why? Wood/rail, open/closed muzzle, reel/float line, etc....

As far as specific brands and models. I know I will absolutely get hooked to spearfishing and free diving. So for my first gun, I'm looking for something mid-priced. What would be your top 3?

Thanks,
    Ryan

• Rob Allen 120 with open muzzle and reel.. Ideal for most south florida situations IMO
    You may find you prefer wood guns, as many ppl do. I dont know much about wood guns but Riffe Competitor and Euro series are really popular

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• I like Riffe Guns and highly recommend them. Euro style 100 or the competitor 3 will be good for most situations in SoFL.

• Lunker, why do you prefer a float line over reel? I've read that it'd be good free shaft reef fish. Learn to take better shots and the shaft isn't going to go too far compared to shooting a pelagic. Also, what's the difference between S. African open muzzle and reg open muzzle?

So basically, as far as mid-ranged guns, RA for rails and Riffe for wood. And Dan's Freediver. Any other reccomendations?

Thanks for the advice!

Ryan

• Freeshafting is for bubble blowers.

My preference:
    Slim wood stock.
    Butt extension for hip loading.
    7mm stainless steel shaft, 13" overhang.
    Two 16mm bands.
    120cm band stretch.
    Open muzzle but enclosed track. Or deep open track.
    Stainless steel mech and housing.
    Shark spike.
    Float line.

• Thanks for the detailed response Dan! Could you explain why you like that particular configuration? I think it would help all novices trying to decide on a gun.

• Slim wood stock. - Easy to grip/carry and track.
    Butt extension for hip loading. - Self explanatory.
    7mm stainless steel shaft, 13" overhang. - Ideal balance between weight for penetration/momentum, resistance to bending, and ease of straightening if bent. Stainless steel doesn't rust.
    Two 16mm bands. - Enough power to take fish up to 80lb. Easier to load than a 19mm band and doesn't take much longer.
    120cm band stretch. - Enough power to the end of two wraps of line.
    Open muzzle but enclosed track. Or deep open track. - Shaft is easy to load/doesn't fall off the track. ET eliminates the line guide. If overpowered ET will help with shaft whip, not really an issue with two 16m bands.
    Stainless steel mech and housing. - Durability and security.
    Shark spike. - Self explanatory.
    Float line. - Do a search, there are a few discussions on this.

• The best is going to be the best suited for you. If you have a practical sense of things, nothing beats a good railgun in the 110, 120 range. But if you find the raw and wild looks of wood more appealing, there are a lot of guns to choose from. I really think Riffe does a very nice work offering accurate and high quality spearguns, An euro 120 or a standard series 3 would give you pride of ownership as well as an accurate and powerful gun to deal with. If you like luxury pieces, a wong G.R. 55" rigged with two 5/8´s and a 9/32 shaft will be just ideal for any reef applications. I have never shot or seen someone shot the Sea sniper reef guns, but they sure are also another option to consider, but they are pricier than the other euro styled rigs before mentioned.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• for the reef I like a short(90-110) gun with a reel and a single wrap and am going to try a 19mm band instead of 2 16's. I find that I encounter schools of fish while on the reef and the ability to reload quickly is invaluable. I prefer a reel because I shoot mostly small fish(under 10 pounds) and dont dive deep. For bluewater I will switch to a float setup, but inside 50' with 150' of reel line I feel comfortable. If you beach dive then the line that you carry for your flag/float can just be attached to your gun eliminating excess gear. But if you yak or boat dive and your flag setup is anchored then a reel might be nice because its less for you to drag through the water. I can actually tell the difference when im diving with my floatline boogy board setup vs. when I dive off my boat with nothing attached to me. granted its minimal but it is noticeable. Chest loading vs. hip loading is your preference, hip loading is definately nicer if you ask me, but I chest load because thats the gun I have. My next gun will be a hiploading bluewater setup though.

Edited once, last by mrmike ().