foot cramps, cressi 2000hf

• whats up everyone..

did a little shore diving today.. after about 2hrs of swimming my feet started to crap, more specifically the ball of my foot towards my toes. does this happen to anyone else? did soft foot pockets and carbon fiber help? any advice?

• Yes and yes. Do the footpockets fit well or are they too tight? Normally I wear one size larger and 3 mm neoprene sox. Never a problem. Cressi footpockets are among the softest in the market. Probably not the right size for you.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Cramps in that area are usually caused by footpockets that don't fit well. This is probably what you're feeling.

With the Cressi fins you don't have a choice, it is what it is. That's why guys choose any of a number of footpocket brands available on the market that will fit them best, and then choose blades to match the footpocket characteristics, to get a fin with the desirable flex and stiffness. Carbon blades being lighter than anything else help to relieve stress from knees, ankles, instep and toes, not only the arch.

• Marco, any larger and they would be loose, any smaller and I wouldn't be able to wear them with my water sock... Not really sure what to do.. I bought them at a dive shop and we went through a few sizes and this was what they suggested was best for me.

Dan, the cramps are more from where my toes meet my foot to where the line pointing the Plantar fascia on your image is.. my heel/legs feel fine..

I'm going to go to the shop and try on a larger size of the same fin again.. I think I'm just going to spring for some foot pockets and a carbon fiber in a few months..

Sucks, it cut my dive really short today. :\

• That happens occasionally to me, I grab the tip of my fin and pull it towards my hip, stretching the bottom of the foot. I notice it more when I'm dehydrated or finning very hard or both.

*Disregard* just saw your follow up post. Mine always happen where Dan's photo shows, never closer to my toes.

• I get a pain on the top of my foot. I think it has more to do with suction on the sock as dan has postulated.

I still think mike it right about dehydration. I don't cramp until I am tired and have been diving a while

i like to spear fish

• Exactly, suction between the sock and footpocket. I don't like socks and avoid them if possible. I'd rather be cold than get that feeling of a cramp coming on whenever I try to stretch out my foot/wiggle the toes while wearing the fins.

• The fin may be too stiff for you. A lot of people that buy the 2000's end up returning them for the 3000's which are much softer especially on long shore dives.

• I'll try no socks if I go out this weekend. It doesn't happen much at all, I usually go out on a boat so It's 30-60 minutes swimming jump back on till the next spot. This was my first time swimming off the shore and staying in the water for 2 hours straight.. I went with forum member Alan, he's also a much stronger swimmer than I so maybe I over worked a little.. Today I wore my fins at home without socks. They do seem tight to me. :\ I've had them over a year, a little late to return them :P

• Good advice always better to be prepared. He might be fine though. . I have dove w my older garas barefoot many times with no bad results. They have very soft rubber fp's.

i like to spear fish

• Yea barefoot I feel the rubbing on my toe knuckles.. Maybe I just need to man up? Lmao..

I've been wearing my fins at home, when I'm sitting on the computer, or in my bed laying around.. Kind of crazy I know but I think I have it figured out. I feel pressure on my foot, where my metatarsal meets my phalanges. I have wide feet. Now I'm wondering if a dip in boiling water and stuffing something in there to widen them a bit would help? Anyone suggest brands for wider feet? I hear maybe Omer...?

My water socks are regular 1.5ml, do they sell them thinner?

• I had the same problem with neoprene socks. With lycra socks I am fine but when I go to neoprene instant cramps like you Frank. The suction is what causes it for me. So I decided to break the suction by burning many holes in it with a fine nail. It works fine and I prefer neoprene now.

Davie Peguero