DIY spiney fish handler .lionfish.scorpionfish.really stupid sculpin

• So I found that rock fish and figured i would reverse engineer myself a "safespear" biting the design of the spear of the same name...basically it is a short polespear with a pcv sleeve for sliding the fish off the spear into a bucket or cooler and avoid any hand contact.

I took an old golf club and cut it off at what seemed like a good length. I had this fixed head para tip from an old spear that came in a lot off craigslist and I just epoxied the end closed and then fused the two pieces.

for the rear end, I cut a length of the remaining shaft as long as the diameter of the shaft and drilled a hole of the same diameter...i just stuck the tube in there and figure the dyneema and the tangental pulling forces will keep it in place. it basically is acting as a ferrule.

the nylon strapping is a thumb grip and the club grip holds the pvc in place when not in use

it isnt terribly powerful.....see videos....but it should be sufficient for it's purpose but i can always shorten the powerband if needed.

http://s931.photobucket.com/albums/ad155/lunkerbuster/lion-destroyer/?action=view&current=0d0e9841.mp4
    http://s931.photobucket.com/albums/ad155/lunkerbuster/lion-destroyer/?action=view&current=ccd2b116.mp4

i like to spear fish

• This is a great idea I have never seen before. Ive got a small fiberglass sling for taking out lion fish on scuba and lobstering and I usually remove the fish with my knife.This looks like a simple but much safer solution. Gonna go cut up some PVC right now.

• Great idea, but IMO, it looks a bit sketchy...

I cringe thinking about using it... I can see that pvc whacking my hand on the shot. :(

• Dude it wouldn't even go through the cardboard LOL

Keep the PVC down in front of your grip, just over the beginning of the paralizer. Either that or just scrape the fish off the paralizer with the edge of the bucket or cooler.

• Great idea, but IMO, it looks a bit sketchy...

I cringe thinking about using it... I can see that pvc whacking my hand on the shot. :(

i actually have thought about that and i would expect that on a normal spear but this is not really supposed to be too powerful...for the rockfish ill be just stabbing them like halis and for a lionfish it just needs to pierce him and hold.

i can also tie off a little bit of dyneema to secure it til i'm on the boat.

Dan-
    you might be right about the PVC and i might just take it off and use the bicket as you said...a little trial and error is in order.

TEST EDIT-
    i also tied a knot in the bad, effectively shortening it by two inches...it hits too hard now and the pvc does hit my hand...however, it actually acted more like a braking system and just stopped the spear, it works really well actually and should bring ruin to many lionfish

i like to spear fish