Using reels in open water

• I was thinking today about it, and I use a reel for about 70% of my diving, with a good mix of open water and wreck/reef diving. I've never had a problem with landing fish up to 80 pounds in open water (no place for them to tangle up). I was just thinking, that as long as you don't let go you should be fine..... I've had a 37 pound barracuda strip most of a reel pretty fast though.

Now using a float and float line definitely makes it easier and probably safer, but I like the convenience of just rolling up and going out.

Just wondering how many use a reel for open water, or at what point do you switch over to a floatline? I'm not talking about tuna here, just normal fish, cobia, aj's, barracuda, and light bluewater, ect.

• 70% of my diving requires towing a float and flag around anyways. Either beach diving or diving away from a boat. So attaching my gun to it and getting rid of the reel is a pretty logical step.

For the other 30%. Shooting with a cheap pipegun I enjoyed having the option to use a reel. But with a nice gun and a go-pro mounted on it to boot. The risk of reel malfunction, band tangles, and lost guns isnt worth the reduction in drag while swimming. I have a reel but I see its use diminishing to near zero.

• some folks use a reel and a shorted floatline..just as deep as they plan to dive..then the use the reel for most everything but have the safety of the FL.

to me it is the worst of both in that case

I am with Dan, FL for all dives and be couteous about coiling the excess as you swim

i like to spear fish

• some folks use a reel and a shorted floatline..just as deep as they plan to dive..then the use the reel for most everything but have the safety of the FL.

That would be a bit ridiculous, trailing around a 50-75' floatline, might as well just use a straight floatline.
    I could see maybe a 5-10' chicken line, just so you could let go of the gun to adjust something or what not, but still that would defeat the freedom of not having a floatline.

I used to be strictly floatline, then when I started using a reel, I found that it had no entanglement issues, pretty much nil compared to a floatline (ie: other lines, anchor line, wreck. ect...) I don't use it for shore diving, unless I have a float w/ flag anchored somewhere close.... or I'm in California, diving with my cousin.

• Reel for everything :) :thumbsup2:

AJ, Cobia, Kings, Cuberas, Grouper, Permit, AP, ect..

• I dive Open Water for Wahoo, Spanish Mackeral etc.. when it's not Crazy Dangerous Currents with a Buoy with @75ft of heavy Mono and a Clip at the End. Along that 75ft, I have all sorts of flashers, and Shiny Materials tied on.. I swim next to this with my gun and a Big Reel with 3OOft of line on it.

In Nasty areas, or if I'm diving deep I'll use a standard Buoy system and clip off to my weight belt. I'm still using the Reel. If need be I can easily unclip from a loop on the front of my Weight belt and clip on to my Shooting line. Then if I fire, both the float and the Reel are attached. This gives me another 2OOft of line behind my 1OOft floatline.. so I don't lose my float.... again..........

Remember with reels.. Always carry a knife. Know how to get to it quickly. If your shooting line tangles with your bands when you shoot a big fish, your reel is still valuable. Leave your gun, Grab the Reel line and run it through your fingers on the way to the surface.

Avoid getting Jackwrapped.......... When I shoot a big fish in Open water with a Reel and there's Lots of line around.. I like to grab my gun, put the bands around my shoulder and try to swim in one direction constantly. This spreads out any recaptured line and avoids me becoming entangled in a bird's nest. It's really important to never allow yourself to be entangled in the Reel line when fighting a big fish.

I also don't use a front line guide. These will take some of the Pressure off of your Reel guide, but also this puts your line closer and towards the stickiest things around.. your bands.. better to let the line run straight down to the fish out of the reel.

I like to pack the inside of my reels with Lithium Grease. This makes them Smoooooth and heat resisitant.

• I used to be a reel only guy until I had a few experiences that changed my thinking.

Someone already mentioned it; but I will use reels in water that is no deeper than my comfortable diving limit. California was a great place for reels while shore diving because most of the area I dove were 50' or less. The problem was when the line fouled in the bands . I had that happen on two consecutive wsb over 50 lbs. Fortunately, I was able to get everything back including the fish. The first one was a "close call" definitly got me thinking.

Since moving to the South and diving the GOM, my mind has changed for good. I use a floatline. PERIOD. Had waaay too many close calls in a short amount of time. The water is deep and the fish are big and nasty. I also had a friend lose his life while using a reel. The line had been cut but a bit too late...the gun made it to the surface but he never did. His body was recovered in only 75' of water, well within his abilities. This was a very seasoned veteran spearo.

If someone wants to continue using a reel, my suggestion is to get a carter float. It's a CO2 activated flot that rolls up nice and can be clipped to a weight belt. It can be easily deployed and then clipped to the shooting line of gun if an "oh shit" situation should occur.

• John,

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I read about his drowning. Reels can be dangerous.. you have extra lines, you can have a band tangle with your shooting line when you hit a fish. It's really important to go through the different scenarios in your head before they happen.

-Band tangle. Grab the Reel line from the Reel and head to the surface without the gun letting the line run through your fingers. If you are in Ca. and in the Kelp, think to tye this off to the Kelp and head to the surface.

-Line around the Weights/Belt, Try to get it untangled, Cut it with a Knife, or drop your belt.

-Line around legs, arms. Cut it with a knife.

And always.... remember that That Gun is Replaceable. In a worst case scenario. Let it Go.

The CO2 float is a good idea, but needs to be very accessible and practiced. Belt Reels are also good. Also need to be accessible and practiced.

Also, it's good to mention that some Species are better Reel fish.. Some fish, ie big Jacks, or Dogtooth Tuna, etc. will head for the bottom and try to wrap up on structure. It's not a great match to go for these fish with a Reel unless you are near a big drop off and currents which can help you to get them off the reef and into the open for the fight.
    Wahoo, Spanish Mackeral, etc. have a different normal characteristic where they will Speed off in thumb blistoering runs in Mid Water and make big Arcs or Straight Runs using their speed. These make for great Reel fish, even if they are BIG.

Another consideration is the Shark factor. Using a Reel in the blue is going to be a slower process than using a float..

But, at the end of the day with all of the pros and cons, I like using Reels in the Blue because it's more free while you are hunting, and because it's a much more interactive experience once you've hit the fish, from beginning to end, you are attached. You feel those first runs.. You do the work not the buoy or the bungee.

Big fight on Light Tackle.. 5Oyd Reel. Hour long struggle.

• that is intense john, thanks for sharing the story for everyone's benefit. I am very sorry for your loss. That a gear failure could be fatal is a scary and sobering thought

How do you manage a FL around the rigs? that must be a huge chore

i like to spear fish

• This is a topic that I have a lot more to say about. Jon brought up some good points and I want to comment on them. It's a bit late though and I have to get up early. I'll post some more tomorrow evening.