He doesn't get to sleep by the fire for free...

• That's one of yours I take it, good boy! Did he get all the birds of the day by himself?

Looks windy and cold. Do you dry him off with a towel after every swim?

Yeah, Dan. That's my veteran dog ,Fisher. And, yes, all retrieves were made by him . Wind was gusting 30-35 mph and temp had dropped from 60 at mid-morning to 40 by early afternoon . By offical sunset , temperture was at freezing. I don't dry him off , per se, but I do make a make shift bed in an area out of the wind and insulate it with buffalo grass .

• Yeah, Dan. That's my veteran dog ,Fisher. And, yes, all retrieves were made by him . Wind was gusting 30-35 mph and temp had dropped from 60 at mid-morning to 40 by early afternoon . By offical sunset , temperture was at freezing. I don't dry him off , per se, but I do make a make shift bed in an area out of the wind and insulate it with buffalo grass .

That´s impressive, that dog is no pansy uh?, an all terrain retriever for sure ... :toast:

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• What´s your favorite shotgun for that type of hunting?

For the large, migrating geese making it through... I use a 10 gauge , either a double or a single shot , and large 'T' shot or 'BBB'. They are big birds and can absorb alotta steel . And cripples can make for dangerous retrieves via exhausting a dog out in deep water. So I don't mess around.

However, a 12 gauge double sending #2's or BB's upward also accounts for alot of bird meat in our freezer.

• That´s impressive, that dog is no pansy uh?, an all terrain retriever for sure ... :toast:

Funny thing about Fisher... geese are by far his favorite bird to retrieve. He loves to hunt period... but something about geese drive him crazy. Hell, it'll be late at night and he'll be asleep on his dog bed then suddenly sit up and start whining.... a few minutes later I'll hear a flock migrating past. Just something about geese.

• What is the day's limit per hunter? How much meat is on one of these birds compared to say a medium size chicken?

Daily limit is 3 dark geese (pictured) , 20 snows, and 6 ducks . We took limits of ducks and dark geese. Snows haven't really made it in ,yet.

Breast are wider and longer than a typical chicken and way heavier.

• What about overall quantity of meat including the thighs, which is more chicken, geese or ducks?

I am afraid I don't understand the question, Dan....

In terms of sheer quantity a domestic chicken has more, maybe. Except when talking flight muscles . Then waterfowl are heavier . Actually, now that I think about it a mature mallard duck is on par with a domestic chicken . But a mature Canada Goose ( some weighing 15 pounds or more) beat it hands down.

• Geese are tough birds, i had heard. That dog is sweet as money man, congratulations. You gotta have a pup of him .

I had a litter from him and my yellow British Lab, Tenille . But, better still, I am in contact with the breeder I got him from. In my experience, I've had more success when I have a great dog and I want another like him ...to return to that breeder.

• Aaron I think you have the right idea. It's much more probable you'd get a dog of similar temperament if you buy from the same breeder as opposed to breed out to a female from a different line. She could be a great worker and so can your male but that doesn't guarantee similar offspring, although you could get lucky. Fortunately when it comes to working retrievers there's not as much BS as with dogs who are bred for the show. There is no opinion with working capability as there is when it comes to aesthetics. The dog either does the job or it doesn't.

My question to you was if you take all the edible meat from a chicken, a goose and a duck, all the same weight, which will have the most yield/edible meat?

• Aaron I think you have the right idea. It's much more probable you'd get a dog of similar temperament if you buy from the same breeder as opposed to breed out to a female from a different line. She could be a great worker and so can your male but that doesn't guarantee similar offspring, although you could get lucky. Fortunately when it comes to working retrievers there's not as much BS as with dogs who are bred for the show. There is no opinion with working capability as there is when it comes to aesthetics. The dog either does the job or it doesn't.

My question to you was if you take all the edible meat from a chicken, a goose and a duck, all the same weight, which will have the most yield/edible meat?

I agree...

I think wild ducks and lesser canada geese are probably on par with a domestic chicken.... greater Canadas are certainly up a notch.