H Dessault footpockets new production - soft tendons

• I just had a look at H Dessault footpockets from their new production. Dessault decided to go with very soft tendons for their footpockets. These footpockets will need to be matched with blades that have a stiffer backbone to achieve a fin with good flex characteristics. I have serious doubts about the usability of these new f/p because the sole is also very soft.

• There is a tendency in Europe to use footpockets with soft tendons. They say that the tendons don't give anything to the fins. They don't let the blades be as "snappier" as they would.

That makes sense to me.

On the other hand, the sole, in my opinion, shoulb be as stiff as possible to avoid energy dispersion.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• It's a myth/fad, and companies are trying to meet market demands. Those that tried it early enough already went back to moderate stiffness tendons. For example Pathos; 1st generation footpockets were too soft, the result was broken carbon blades and customers complaining. 2nd generation f/p were too hard, Pathos overcompensated and went too much in the opposite direction. The result was fins too stiff and again customers complaining. 3rd generation, finally after myself (and others I'm sure) asking to make the tendons softer Pathos responds with nice moderate stiffness tendons.

The function of the tendons is to give the carbon blade support, and evenly distribute the stress of bending away from the footpocket. When the tendons are too soft and provide no support, the blade will bend most at one specific spot an inch or two past the foopocket, then there's a bigger possibility of it breaking in that spot. That's why this design from Sporasub has never been used for anything but plastic blades.

Marco, to you it seems like a good idea probably because of the fins you're using, because they appear to lack tendons completely. On close examination that huge flap in front of the C4 footpockets weighs just as much as conventional tendons and provides the same support.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW_GlTP_VzI

Footpockets that currently have moderate stiffness tendons:
    omer Millenium (when the production is right)
    Pathos
    Beuchat

Footpockets that currently have very soft tendons:
    Salvimar
    H Dessault
    Mares

Footpockets that currently have very stiff tendons:
    omer Stingray

• Dan--lots of good intel there sir. Thank you :toast:

• There is a tendency in Europe to use footpockets with soft tendons. They say that the tendons don't give anything to the fins. They don't let the blades be as "snappier" as they would.

That makes sense to me.

On the other hand, the sole, in my opinion, shoulb be as stiff as possible to avoid energy dispersion.

The problem is that most often the two go hand in hand. When you have a footpocket with soft tendons you will also have a soft sole, unless there's a specific effort in production to counteract this which I don't see most manufacturers doing.

Here's the new H Dessault footpocket with a fiberglass blade being held by the back of the footpocket. A limp fin like this is simply a piece of shit IMO.

Here's the last H Dessault footpockets I have from the old production, that had good stiffness tendons and a decent sole. Notice I cut off the tendons because I was experimenting with a tendonless fin, but I put an apple on top of the blade to compensate for the missing weight of the tendons. The footpocket is being held in the exact same way, and keeps the same fiberglass blade straight.

Would anyone like to comment on what you think will be the effect of such a soft footpocket on the usability of the fin?

• The soft footpocket, especially the soft heel prevent efficient and complete transfer of energy. Think of the foot as a lever and the heel of the foot as a fulcrum. When you kick your leg transfers energy to your foot and then to the fin. If the heel is too soft then the most force you could apply to the fin would be limited by the force to bend the heel. As Dan's pictures show the heel can barely support the weight of the fin. If you look closely at the sporasub fins the bottom of the footpocket is a rigid plastic thats is very good at transferring the energy.

Last summer I saw a set of footpockets that had a piece of plastic embedded in the sole of the footpocket to add rigidity. I cant remember the brand maybe Dan can find them. Ill ask a friend if he remembers the name. I didnt really look at them very closely but it seems like an interesting idea.