Carp dinner

• Pantoja announced we're having carp, and I was looking forward to something different. I was curious because most consider carp a trash fish, but few say it is edible. Pantoja did all the prep work and cooking. I provided the media coverage and the wife to make rice and beans. The pics tell the story.

On the grill covered with a banana leaf.

Cooked.

The spine lifted right off.

The spread.

I found the carp to be yummy, could be just Pantoja's way of cooking it, he's a really good cook. Picking pieces that were free of the many small spines was a PITA, that alone will probably preclude me from having carp again if another fish is available. But if you need to eat I can honestly say there's nothing wrong with carp.

• Here is a picture of a slice of Carp sashimi I "won" at a tourney in Utah. This picture is a constant reminder to never enter another tournament in Utah.....or to keep my mouth shut!

"Whiskey don't make liars, it just makes fools. So, I didn't mean to say it, but I meant what I said."
    -James McMurtry

• a friend of mine brought me that carp . it was frozen for a few days. wich is not good. but anyways. i ate them carps a couple of times at my uncle's house. he really knows how to prepare them. and except for the bones , which don't really bother me much, they are ok to eat. i'd say it tates good. and to compare. i think tilapia tastes horrible , and i won't eat it.

• a friend of mine brought me that carp . it was frozen for a few days. wich is not good. but anyways. i ate them carps a couple of times at my uncle's house. he really knows how to prepare them. and except for the bones , which don't really bother me much, they are ok to eat. i'd say it tates good. and to compare. i think tilapia tastes horrible , and i won't eat it.

I think every fresh water fish taste like crap, with exception of trout which is 50/50. If people knew what they feed tilapia in the farms they probably will never eat them again. On a side note the lakes around my house up in central Fl have massive carp that look like tarpon

• i'm not really fond of any fresh water fish , but ocacionally will eat one or two. not because i heard they taste one way or another but because i've tied almost everything that has crossed my path. the point here is actually , why eat tilapia if i have all the saltwater fish i can eat and more. there's also a couple of saltwater fish i don't eat. triggerfish , for example.

• i've tied almost everything that has crossed my path.

This I believe must be true :)

Here's a squirrel that crossed my back yard one day when Pantoja was visiting.

A stingray we came across that I guess Pantoja wanted to show us is edible.

Trying to eat different animals rubbed off on me, here's an iguana that was grazing in my back yard.

So far although all the unusual animals killed were consumed, I consider eating them to be an acquired taste. As long as the conventional sort are available I'll abstain. For me nothing beats this.

• Is that a manatee steak Dan?

"Whiskey don't make liars, it just makes fools. So, I didn't mean to say it, but I meant what I said."
    -James McMurtry

• i bet the squirrel was awesome..I used to love plunking them and leting my cousin field dress them and then cook up like five over the fire...nice!!

very cool thread Dan

i like to spear fish

• that iguana looks great . still i would cook it some other way . i ate iguana, but i was really young and i don't remember. not the kind we have here but the one in my country , cuba. my dad would bring all kinds of animals home for the family.
    a few years back , i was already like 25 or more i brough a croc home and cooked it, my mom was there and served her a plate with it and everything else . she was kind of disgusted ans i asked, what was wrong. she told me she doesn't eat anything else than chicken , pork and beef. including quail , fesant in the chicken category.
    it was a chock to me , because i thought i always saw her eat everything she served me. she was just a good wife doing what the husband asked. i'm glad because like i said before , i've tried a lot of things.

• Cool thread. I love squirrel, we usually put them in jambalaya.. or quarter them out, completely coat with hot sauce and deep fry it, without batter/breading.. sooo good. That iguana looks surprisingly tasty.. I've heard that they legitimately taste like chicken.

• The iguana flesh may have texture similar to chicken, but tastes nothing like it. It has a very peculiar (to me) taste. I haven't eaten other reptiles other than sea turtle, which tastes nothing like iguana.