Save Spearfishing In the Coral Sea

• This crap is going on all over the world. I wish I knew who was pulling the strings of this puppet. How is it they can convince governments to do this and we can not convince gorernments not to do this? Fisheries management is a joke and unfortunately the joke is on us. I will send a petition because it is the right thing to do but I feel the decesion has already been made.:crazy:

• There are plans for a 1000000 square kilometer no take sanctuary to be put into effect in the Coral Sea.
    Sign the Petition and stop crazy, unnecessary crap like this.
    ACT NOW - SAVE SPEARFISHING IN THE CORAL SEA

Unfortunately the area of the CS is severely overfished because of some of the local governments historically relaxed regs on commercial fishing; especially long line fishing. There seems to be several species that are listed as vulnerable to extinction by IUCN. I am not read up on the stock assessments for that area but perhaps a total ban is a tad excessive; especially something so selective as spearing.

Red Tide. Fisheries management is far from a joke. Without regulations the seas would be wiped clean of fish very quickly. I think that one of the issues causing people to have such a mindset is a lack of understanding of the real situations; something I place on the shoulders of the fisheries scientist. I am actually in school studying fisheries management and am working on helping to bridge that gap t gain a better understanding for the betterment of all. The system is far from perfect but it is also a necessary system if we are to have any sort of ocean to enjoy.

• Its a recurring theme in all societies and walks of life. The people with most of the money want more, and use the money they have to change the rules to ensure they make more. At the expensive of anything and everything including the environment and human lives. Meanwhile the little guy. The one who is the one really in need of and usually deserving of representation and respect. The one trying to enjoy the environment not extract wealth from it. Gets the shaft.

As a kid I used to think the power = money thing was hyperbole not a math equation.

• Unfortunately the area of the CS is severely overfished because of some of the local governments historically relaxed regs on commercial fishing; especially long line fishing. There seems to be several species that are listed as vulnerable to extinction by IUCN. I am not read up on the stock assessments for that area but perhaps a total ban is a tad excessive; especially something so selective as spearing.

Red Tide. Fisheries management is far from a joke. Without regulations the seas would be wiped clean of fish very quickly. I think that one of the issues causing people to have such a mindset is a lack of understanding of the real situations; something I place on the shoulders of the fisheries scientist. I am actually in school studying fisheries management and am working on helping to bridge that gap t gain a better understanding for the betterment of all. The system is far from perfect but it is also a necessary system if we are to have any sort of ocean to enjoy.

I have spent my entire life on the water. I have speared fish in the Atlantic, Pacific, Indian, Carribean, Sea of Cortez, and Gulf of Mexico as well as many Bays and estuaries around the world. I speared my first fish in 1965 and have been keeping track of fish and their habbits for years. I have spent more time in the water and know more about reef fish and pelagics than any of the marine fisheries loosers appointed by the government.
    There have been declines in some fish stocks however it has not been from the recreational speros or fisherman. It has been from the commercial fisherman and a decline in habitat.
    The fact that 10,000 recreational fisherman's signatures on a petetion can not change the decision made by a few crooked marine fisheries goons and the people they represent means that all of that science you are studying in school is really irrelevent.
    Closing down the ocean to us and leaving it open to the commercials is proof that the science that you are studying is complete BS.
    Cheers,
    G.R.

• I have been told that this is being pushed by a large corporation that has proposed the largest tuna cannery in the south pacific in the soloman islands, This is just a ploy to protect "their" tuna while they are outside the range of the fleet. They are trying to eliminate the competition, aka recreational guys...

• This is a very sad thread. It shows loss of hope in proper fisheries management (correct regulation of commercial fisheries combined with logical regulation of recreational fisheries), *and possibly rightfully so, considering the incentives to be corrupt within that establishment. Also the insane state of human overpopulation really makes you wonder how can the oceans survive. Maybe people can decide chicken salad is as good as tuna salad. For the moment I'm just glad you can't longline for hogfish

Don't forget about things like this http://spearfishing.world/puer…-somethings-am-proud.html

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

Edited once, last by sdeisen ().