Engine Re-powering

• What up SD. For those of you that know me and dive with me.... my engine has gone through its second powerhead!??.... For those who don't I have a 24ft. Dusky open fisherman. On it a Yamaha 250 that was bought in 04 with a 5 year warranty, 1 month after that i lost my first power head, had some shit mechanics work on it and rebuilt it, for it only to re-break 1 year later. Then i finally got some qualified people (way over priced) to finally replace the powerhead....1.5 years later... another powerhead cashed (yesterday)....

Im looking to buy a whole new engine at this point, I finally have a mechanic i feel very confident in (a close friends close friend) after speaking with him on the subject and him explaining the long history of problems associated with the (i beleive) HDPI or HPDI being the source of the problem, and how he personally has seen 20+ of these power-heads replaced. That being said, he seems to really be for the 250 Suzuki or if they have it in size 25 (idk what that means) the 250 SS. Iv never heard any kind of hype or consumer reviews on these. being the mechanical amateur i am, reading the understandable stuff is all just whos the better seller and i can't really differentiate whats better than what.... So im asking all the gear heads and mechanics of this fine site what they have to say about the new Suzuki 250's and 250SS's... and their closest competitor? (my guess Yamaha).

With the boat show starting tomorrow I am hoping to get a good deal on something new.

Any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    -AL :thumbsup2: :toast::toast::toast:

• Al, those HPDI's are great motors, as for reliability I can say Yamaha has been great to me, a few buddies have new suzuki 4 strokes and they are great efficient motors, how ever they have also had a few small problems (shifter servo like to shit out ALOT) The question is do you want to stick with a 2stroke or go 4stroke. With the weight of those 25 dusky any single motor you put behind it is going to have to work hard. I recommend you check out the new E tecs, go to the Dusky booth at the boat show and have a talk with them, they are a authorized dealer and installer and have great prices on them, I just put a 60hp etec on a flats boat and picked up 8mph compared to a 2009 yami 70hp. Also remember if you do switch from yammi you will need new rigging which adds up quick $$$$

• I have twin 2007 yamahas 225hp four stroke no problems so far. They are very quite and reliable just make sure you do the schedule yearly/100 hr tune up and you should be good to go.

• Everyone has opinions and experiences with engines so I figure I'll throw my 3 cents in.

My boss had two HPDI Yamaha 250s bought in 02. He had a lot of problems with both but I believe it was the computer....or EMM that was bad.
    I think there is no all around one good brand. Each brand has its really reliable models and each has its lemons.
    I had a 90 ETEC for 5 years with no problems until July. Then the EMM went bad ($2000) and the oil pump ($1000). Also put in a new water pump.

Here in Belize the Enduro, or carbureted 2 strokes are king. 40, 60, 75, 115, 150 and 200s are very popular due to reliability. They do suck a bit more gas though.
    MARELCO - YAMAHA - OUTBOARD ENGINE - 2 STROKE - ENDURO SERIES

I've switched back to them now also. I have twin 40s. I've had a 60 and a 150 and never had any problems with any of them.

• My suggestion would be to find some kind of powerboating forum and look through old threads. Like hank said even the best companies have engines that suck. What was most surprising to me was that even within a certain line different sized motors can have problems.

Another thing is take every review with a grain of salt. For every great engine there is always someone who got a crappy one. I have a 225 yamaha on my 23 contender and have never had a single problem with it. (knock on wood) It starts and its quiet.

Ive heard some good things about the new ETECHs, particularly that they are powerful and efficient. the only experience I have with them is on a friends flats boat. I personally have had such good luck with my yamaha that I probably wouldnt change.

Just my .02

• Thank you all for your responses.... My mechanic was talking about that certain models on each brand have better reps.... such as i remember him telling me the yamaha 225s like you have jcmeng & wishihadgills...are exceptionally great reliable engines...when on the other hand the 250s have had such problems like you mentioned Hank.

Built 7- I will try and find the model code on the receipt when i get a chance to dig it up at work tomorrow. Im quite interested in what you have to say being the revered mechanic i hear you are.

Went to the boat show today at 6 thinking it was open till 8 was closed... so research gathering starts tomorrow and ill share my findings and what im leaning towards when i can.

Thanks again guys for all the feedback so far
    -AL

• The Suzuki 250 is the way to go. Not only is it the best priced engine, it is also bullet proof. I have a 2005 that I have been running for 7 years. I have a friend that has put 4,000 hours on the same motors. The only down side is the service facilities are far and few between. If you have a good local Suzuki dealer that won't be a problem.
    Yamahas are great motors and have a better network of dealers, but the $4,000 price difference is not worth it to me.

• :toast:Congratulations, suzuki four stroke is widely accepted by professional fishermen, here in Venezuela

good boat for fishing

José :toast:

Un Hombre tiene que creer en algo.......
    Creo que me iré de pesca!!!

Edited once, last by Josediaz ().