How to practically measure float bouyancy

• i see one potential problem with how you are using the scale in the video it looks like you are holding it at a angle . a spring scale will give a lower reading if there is any side load at all on it, even a tiny bit of angle . to get a accurate reading hold it by a rope loop on the bottom of the scale .or to remove all doubt hand weights off the float until it goes neutral and compare that to the scale reading.
    phil

• I know exactly what you're talking about and I made sure the scale wasn't on an angle. It appears that way because I'm straining to hold the float submerged and at the same time tilting my head to look at the scale, the camera being on my head. There is no question that the scale was straight and moving freely.

• Took me a while to do the buoyancy test for the Aimrite Bluewater float. I knew it would go higher than 50lb and my scale only goes to 50lb. A good 100lb corrosion resistant scale is $150 so I procrastinated for a long time. Finally my curiosity got the better of me, and I half convinced myself that one day I will get a fish so big that I will need to weigh it with this new scale so I bought it.

I didn't have much leverage holding on the ladder, and was worried I won't have the strength to submerge the float. So I clipped on a 10lb plate that as luck would have it I found lying around the pool. As you can see I was able to submerge the float momentarily without yanking on it, which gave me an accurate reading because this scale has a maximum weight indicator. I submerged the float 5 times and the results were the same; 63lb on the scale plus 10 for the weight for a total of 73lb of lift in freshwater. Multiplied by 1.025 results in 75lb bouyancy in saltwater.

Aimrite Bluewater float buoyancy test - YouTube

• Makes me wonder how aimrite came about there advertised numbers... Dan, does anyone at the pool ever question what your doing during these product tests/comparisons? I know I'd be curious if I saw such things going on.

• Good test Dan. I believe that Rick claimed that float was rated at 80 lbs. I would like to see the same test on some other floats for comparison. Get to work:D:toast:

• I don't know how much difference it makes ,but 10# of steel won't weight 10# in water it will "float" a little .
    Phil

You can subtract the volume of water that the steel take up using density of steel 7.85 g/cm3 and the density of fresh water 1.00g/cm3

10lbs steel x 1kilo/2.20lbs x 1000g/1kilo x 1cm3/7.85g x 1g/1cm3 x 1kilo/1000g x 2.20lbs/1kilo=1.27lb H2O

It is a small difference.

So if the float gives a buoyancy of 75lb with the steel plate in fresh water then subtract 1.27 pounds from it.