Lion Fish

• we have been killing these fish everytime we see one now. Pantoja says they are delicious and they have alot of meat. does anyone have a technique they use to cut the poison spines off? do you carry a scissor in your dive belt? how do you handle them?

they definetly look like they are just as good to eat as the best fish out there.

• I don't know if those spines still sting once the fish is dead, but filleting the fish without removing the spines is asking for trouble. Especially if you're doing a few fish in one time. I read somewhere that singeing the tips of the spines with a small propane blow torch renders them safe. But I wouldn't want to carry a blow torch on the boat.

• Ive always seen people cut them off with scissors, either on the boat or in the water. I wouldnt carry scissors on me I would just have a set of kitchen sheers on the boat

• The spines will still sting after the fish is dead and I would definitely cut them off before filleting. the guy in the first video cuts them of at the base. The guy in the fillet video is nuts.

A propane torch will neutralize the venom. It is recommended that anyone targeting lion fish wear puncture proof gloves and or have a hot source of water handy. If your stung immediately place the affected area in hot water. The temperature of the hot water should be as hot as bearable without burning. Note: this doesnt neutralize the venom only alleviate the pain.

For cutting of the spines the best solution I have seen are surgical sheers or kitchen sheers. The surgical sheers are cheap and hold up pretty well in saltwater. I have seen videos of people using a dive knife to break off the spines similar to cutting off the ends of beans but I wouldnt recommend this technique especially underwater.

• I use the same method as the guy in the first video. The spines pop right off. There's also 1 more by the anal fin to watch out for.

• http://spearfishing.world/spea…eally-stupid-sculpin.html

that spear has made it so easy to take them...i have a bucket in the boat just for them...i keep them on my spear until i had the spear up to the boat guy, they use the PVC to slide the fish into the bucket....done until home.

at home. I use hexarmour needle proof gloves (18$-30$ on fleabay, nurses and people who handle medical waste use 'em) and i use SS surgical shears to remove all the spines at once, then i fillet.

gloves-
    BRAND NEW & SEALED NEEDLE / CUT RESISTANT GLOVES BY HEX ARMOR Medium and Large | eBay

i like to spear fish

• dang needle proof gloves and the scissors to remove the spikes... what you wear a helmet too? lolol I'm ..jk Judah

thanks for the link I might scoop a pair

• thanks alan for this thread. i was meaning to star one like this but never did. las time i went out i brught a pair of scissors and i left them on the boat. whenever i got one i'd bring it to the boat and guille , a frined would take care of it. to much trouble. i want to set up a pouch with the scissors so i can do everything right there and then hang it on the string so i don't waste time. as of right now i can say that lionfish is part of my diet now. they are my second favorite fish to eat and there's no way i'm letting one escape.

• They're very good table fare! I compare them with grouper, but more delicate.

The risk of getting punctured is just the same as when cleaning a snapper or any other fish.

Wear gloves and you're 00% covered. ;)

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.