Recent Trip pics and Canon S100 review

• I was debating this camera for a long time, but had 2 s95's... & couldn't bring myself to upgrade.

Ended up selling one of the s95/housing combos & switching to Ikelite & Inon WA lense instead. :)

• Harold, I considered the Ikelite housing, because of the wide angle option, but then learned they make a wide angle & macro adapter for the canon housing as well.

How bad is the vignetting with the adapter? Seems like you need to crop in to the image a lot to get rid of it, almost defeating the purpose...

Did you ever experience focusing issues with the s95? I have several friends that experience intermittent focussing problems...

g

• The s95 is slightly narrower at 28mm, but most all aftermarket lenses are 28 or 35mm native. You have to zoom into either of those two focal distances or you'll have extreme vignetting. This is where the s95 is a bit better. Though they both have f2.0 at their widest angle, if you zoom into 28mm on the s100, you lose that widest aperature.

This leads to why I also wanted to go ikelite/WAlense vs getting the canon housing one. I figure the market for used WA lenses is really good, but one that's specific mounted for the canon housing is a bit harder to offload. Given how much gear I go through... I decided to go with the more "liquid" option. :)

There's a tiny bit of vignetting, but not a lot... just the very corners. No focus issues with s95. *knock on wood*

No adaptor necessary, the housing port is threaded for standard 67mm.

Love the pics, btw. :)

• Thanks for the feed back. I'm curious to see how the pics from that set up look. The one thing I really like about the S100 is the speed, especially compared to the G10 I used before this. The 9.3frames/s full res burst mode comes in extremely handy when shooting erratically moving fish... Even the regular continuous shooting mode is significantly faster than the S95...

For those interested in seeing a more complete over view of the trip and higher quality pics, you can view them here: CURA12 - Page 1

• nice pics for sure, no video?

I guess I'm old school, but I prefer taking pics. I do have some video of another large mutton and a bait ball that I'll see if I can post once I'm not on my iPad, but a real computer... Its not the greatest quality as the water there was a bit murky from dust from a development going up on the cliff above...

• Beautiful pictures.

Venezuelan fishing boats and food (vegetables and malts image).

Thanks for sharing. :toast:

Yeah those boats come in every day, probably from Puerto Cumarebo, since that is the closest real town on the mainland... It's a 40 mile trip in some heavy seas, most of the time. I don't envy them. But they have the best and cheapest passion fruit in the world! ;)

• Yeah, sailing from port Cumarebo (Venezuela), passion fruit = Parchita

In Curacao Polar beer should be taken

Passion fruit = Parchita

Better than passion fruit .....

:toast:

José

Un Hombre tiene que creer en algo.......
    Creo que me iré de pesca!!!

Edited once, last by Josediaz: erase image error ().

• Yup, parchita, the same what we call it in Papiamentoe. La fruta mas sabrosa en el mundo!

Drank plenty of Polar. I love the cans with the half naked chicks, but they need to put some new models on them, they are getting old. ;)

What part of venezuela are you from?

• Yup, parchita, the same what we call it in Papiamentoe. La fruta mas sabrosa en el mundo!

Drank plenty of Polar. I love the cans with the half naked chicks, but they need to put some new models on them, they are getting old. ;)

What part of venezuela are you from?

Gerald, I am from Caracas.

Very good pic's

José.

Un Hombre tiene que creer en algo.......
    Creo que me iré de pesca!!!

• Thanks Joseé,

Venezuela is a very special place. So diverse, both in people and nature. I've had some wonderful times there. I hope they will resume the ferry service soon. Lots of curaçaleños used to just take their car and go on road trips to Venezuel when they still had the service. Now they confiscated the ferry. I hope things get better for you guys....