Steering wheel spinner knob

• Remember these?

Super convenient to steer the car with one hand. Haven't thought about them for years, saw one recently and now I want to get it. Many people say they're illegal, but it always sounded like an urban legend to me. Still I decided to check a little before I buy and turns out that it's indeed BS Suicide Knob - State Laws for Steering Wheel Knobs I also asked a cop friend. This kind of misinformation that people propagate without questioning bugs me. BTW my boat steering wheel came with a stainless steel spinner knob, without it steering the boat in chop as I'm holding on to the frame with one hand would be hard.

• Check your local car goodies shop. If they don't carry it there are many online shops that do. There are many styles to choose from to match your car. Looks like they have folding ones now, I'd stay away from those.

Caveat; these spinners are also called suicide knobs. It's been said that in a head on collision the knob may get pushed into your face or chest if you're not wearing a seat belt and your car doesn't have an air bag. I don't know how much worse this is than having the whole steering wheel embedded in your torso, but I thought I'd mention it as I don't want to be responsible for someone's bad decision. I drive carefully so I'm not worried about it.

• Like you said Dan they are not illegal and are installed on many vehicles that are driven by handicapped or amputee drivers where the throttle and brake is controlled in one hand by a lever and the knob greatly aids them in one handed steering. We see them quite frequently come through the dealership and they are handy although I haven't found it necessary in my everday driving.

• I want!!! I drive a stick so Im always driving with one hand and Ive always wanted one of these

I also drive stick just with my right hand. I get more out of it steering/ shifting with the same hand. Lazy left hand is usually out the window :)
    Oh and i dont think i could drive with that ball on the steering wheel. Looks like it would be hard to make turns.

• I like them on forklifts. I could see it on a boat, too. -Makes good sense. To each his own at any rate. As an SCCA driver, it's like undewater earphones to me. We'll still be friends, though. In fact, even if you put one on your Viper GTS, I'll still be happy to take it out for a few laps, so it's all good. lol Post a pic if you put one on your Viper. I'll use it as an avatar. :thumbsup2: