Cleaning a wetsuit so it doesnt stink like fish. How do you do it?

• Well after yesterdays catch and a long hike up a steep trail back to the car I managed to get my wetsuit smelling like fish. I always rinse my suit with fresh water but this thing stinks like old fish. I used some body soap to try and clean it but that didn't help any. What do you guys recommend to clean and remove the stink off of a suit? Thanks a bunch.

• Doesn't the sun effect the neoprene? I imagine once its dry its a good idea to store it out of the sun? I have been drying it in the shower but if it smells like this it will have to be outside. Thanks again.

• I use a five gallon bucket with 2-3gal water and 1/4 cup bleach. Rinse, soak for a few hours, rinse and dry. Wetsuit bacteria can and will kick your ass.

iv been woundering the same thing...will the bleach effect any of the color on my suit?

thanks
    -Al

• how tall is your shower? iask because I have 8ft clearance in the shower and put up a second shower rod in the middle of the shower a few inches fro mthe top...I put all my gear in the shower after the dive and rinse every metal bit, then light soap on the neoprenee and lycra and I let it all dry i nthe shower...the next day everything is good and dry and clean, no mess

i like to spear fish

• iv been woundering the same thing...will the bleach effect any of the color on my suit?

thanks
    -Al

The way LADVER does it no. The way I did it one time Yes. I will post pics later.

BOBBERRYFISHCARVINGS.COM

• I have gotten felliculitus real bad once or twice. Now I mix in some bleach to my conditioner mix, been about a year since I started doing it and havnt gotten it again.
    To get the stink off the outside I usually just spray it down really hard then let it dry in the sun. Hang it up in your garage so even if it does stink you don't have to smell it

• I use a bleach and liquid soap mixture on all of my gear and have for the past 15 years. I wash it good inside and out and let it sit while I rinse the rest of my gear. After rinsing with fresh water I hang the suit up to dry with the inside in. After the outside is dry I reverse it and hang it to dry with the inside out. This system works well and I have not had any issues with my suits from the bleach, soap, or sun. I usually get about two seasons out of a suit before I sell them and they always look pretty good and are a good deal for the next buyer.

:laughing3:

• Sun and bleach are not good for your wetsuit. Maybe a low concentration bleach solution is not THAT bad.

Let it soak with water backing soda mixture if the stink is too bad. then you can wash it in your washing machine in "delicate" cicle. I normally just hose my wetsuits after each use, but when they begin to stink, I machine wash them and hang to dry as Redtide said.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.