Yak advise

• Hi guys,

Any recommendations on a relatively cheap 1 person sit on top kayak? Really want to get one for the beach and bay. Not looking to spend more than $500 or so... I'm not really down with an inflatable one.

Hope you more experienced yak divers can help steer me in the right direction

Thanks,

G

• Scupper Pro
    Perception prizm
    ocean kayak trident.

best to look used on craigslist, in miami and sofla a lot turn up
    scupper pro is ideal

You should be able to find any of those for around 350-400 in real good condition, except the newer ocean kayak tridents they are too new to go so cheap.

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• Thanks for the info. Have you come up with a handy way to secure a dive flag to a yak?

• two easy ways...one is to make a hau rig which consists of a fiberglass bike flag pole stuck into the rudder hole.
    option two is to modify Dan's fuel line method and drill out a small hole in the yak, insert a pvc tube with a sealed end and fix that to the top of the yak, then glue or epoxy some fule line with a 1/4" ID into the pvc, this will securely hold a thin flag pole well

the other is to make a wooden dowel base for your thin flag pole and stick it into a rod holder if your yak has them

Steven's recommendations are all awesome...as is the hobie adventurer and cobra fish and dive. there is a lot of yak experience on here, so let us know what you find on CL and we will talk you through any and all mods

i like to spear fish

• I am a yak person since I'm 10 yrs old. I was growing up doing competitions.
    Rivers, white-waters, lakes, oceans, several week tours, diving with tanks, Spearfishing, kayak-sailing.
    I have always owned many yaks and tried many diferent styles. I can call myself a yak-nut.
    I would say it with confidence that for FreeDiving, one of the best is the Wilderness Systems Tarpon series.
    If you wanna save money, Precision Sport Pescador is the exact same kayak for a cheaper price.
    it has a rounded side (unlike ocean kayaks) and easy to get in and get out of the water. It has a rails so u can mount stuff on it. The seat is awesome. Like many sit on tops, very stable and it holds a straight line. Buy a used one in a good condition. - my 2c.

• gerald--Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro is my favorite freedive/spearing yak. ALL your gear including floats and up to 160cm guns will fit down inside through the front hatch. I slide my SP off my truck rack and walk to the beach with it on my shoulder and I am old and decrepit. The SP is also very tough, as I have flipped mine endo up onto the beach while yak surfing and there have even been reports of flying Scupper Pros loose bounsing down route 95 at 65mph with only scratches :rolleyes1:
    "Scupper Pro gives you wings"
    Hope this helps brother :toast2:

• abdiver--at 6' and 170lbs, the Scupper Pro would work well for you. The SP is 14ft 6in long.
    I always recommend a yak at least 14ft for ocean diving, though shorter length yaks will still work.
    I do not dive NorCal, so perhaps also direct your question to those spearos in your area.
    Hope this helps