Protective caps for spears?

• Griswold's post on his speargun storage got me to thinking about protective caps on spear shafts.

We generally hunt with slip tips, and it is easy to remove them when the guns are stored. But even the adapter or bare threaded end of a shaft could easily be a danger if you fell onto it. One thing that I have found to work well on certain tips is a 2" piece of the bright orange hose on my air compressor. It is heavy walled, and the diameter is such that it will fit over the point, but not the double floppers on a JBL slip tip. It wouldn't work on a single flopper shaft, or the adapter end of a standard slip tip, though. The bright orange color is important to me, as I can get a little excited when the bottom machine lights up with fish, and often jump in the water with the protective cap still in place.

Probably the best protector would be something that is hollow inside to fit over a shaft, but closed at the end so that it can't be pushed down if someone falls on it. If you have ever seen the protective caps on re-bar at a construction site, then you have an idea what I am envisioning, but obviously smaller.

What do others use, if anything?

• My experience is that nobody uses anything to cap the spear. Riffe has the red spear tip cap that pretty much does everything you said. It costs around $5. It's hard to enforce having everyone cap their spears. It's hard enough to get anyone to keep gear on a boat in an organized way without looking like an asshole. I remember even I was pretty pissed when one guy I knew insisted that the spearguns will be capped before they come on the boat, this meant you had to carry the cap with you in the water. I stopped diving with him, there were other reasons but that was the straw that broke the camels back.

When I need a cap I cut a small section of gas hose and do a constrictor knot in one end with waxed whipping twine. A red or orange hose would be better.

I still think it makes more sense to keep the guns near the floor and horizontally so that at worst they'll poke your feet.

• I see your point about the hassle of a cap, but I really don't like guns laying on the deck of the boat. They get thrown around in rough seas, and it's easy for someone to lose their balance and step on one, or for something else to fall on a gun and damage it. My preference is stored overhead under my hard top, but this probably isn't practical for larger guns.

How about vertically, but upside-down? I was thinking of a set of PVC tubes, maybe of different sizes, so that each gun fit in it's own tube, and the bands would sort of cusion it within the tube? Maybe a special bottom in the tubes, that allowed the shaft to stick through, but supported the stock. That way, the weight of the gun is supported on the muzzle, and not resting on the shaft and trigger mech.

• Oh I agree about the guns laying on deck, it's a PITA. I was thinking more like under the gunwale like the storage for fishing rods. That would be ideal.

For a rack storing guns upside down I don't think it would be overly complicated. A section of PVC tube supporting the gun up to the handle and a bungee keeping it tight at the bottom all fastened to a board. Can also be made in two sections. Top section with PVC tubes and bottom section for the bungees. This could work in cases where the aluminum frame of the canopy can support the sections individually. In such a case though it would be difficult to fit the guns into the tubes from the top because of the length of the gun. You'd need more overhead space than what the canopy allows. Maybe something with a sideways entry can be devised.

• I agree that while keeping caps on all spears is a good idea, it isn't practical in most cases. The only time I've heard of it being done is when your diving out of a boat with inflatable sides. Suddenly the PITA factor goes down a bunch.

Thanks for posting the story of your friends accident. I feel pretty good about the placement of a vertical holder in my boat since it's not in a location where anyone should be above it at any time. Also, the dividers make a huge difference in not allowing the guns to lean.

I used it once before without the dividers and will not do that again.

While I like the concept of the upside down holder, I just don't see it working for a 65" tuna gun.

• The thing about the cap is having a place to store it. Some can fit it in the hollow space in the handle others tuck it in a sleeve. I'd rather dedicate one side of the console to laying guns and everyone knows not to traverse through there. Gerald always brings a big padded gun case and everyone just lays there guns on that. I used to do the same on my boat with a snowboard bag for bagdepot.com .

Now that I think of it you can hang a big case off the gunwale. Open it and pile the guns in there, when you're on your way fold the half up to the gunwale again and you have the free space.

Davie Peguero

• I always have a 5/16 old piece of hose in my speargun bag, or sometimes an old spear pole rubber, and i cut a piece to stick in the speartip, it´s nice to have it cause it is good to protect the tip as well. Look what happen to Sergio, is a good thing to keep the speartips safe.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• Will you be willing to disconnect the float line every time we move to a new spot? :)

You dont have to disconnect it, your're not zipping up the bag. In my case I use a clip so it's no extra bother. In your case that clip takes more time to take off and on.

Davie Peguero

• synthetic wine corks are the best spear tip covers...drill out a section about a mm smaller than your shaft and viola, it holds snug as can be...

I lose those almost immediately and end up with the cut up old band anyway

I think the issue for storing guns on the boat comes down t ohow easily ca nthe spears be removed and then re-rigged. if they are easy to take out and in, then storing the guns becomes easiler as you can just do any of the ideas, upside down (no spear to take the weight or get bent) , rightside up (nothing sharp to stab anyone) or horizontal (shorter without the spear)

i find it difficult when the shooting line and or slide rind adds more gear and makes it impracticle to do a quick change.

i like to spear fish

• floor is fine as long as spear is facing towards the back corner of boat. I havent had a problem yet and i dont think i will ever.

You can use old bands like someone mentioned. But that never works as you always lose the rubber.