Lionfish Derby

• Mike, I have a pole spear and a para tip I got from Judah; Thanks though.

Looking forward to a day of killing these little bastards.

• If we don't have a fourth by Tuesday let me know. I can probably get another.

• Does anyone have a LF bag? No reason to return to the boat for every little fish. If no I'll pick up a pair of shears to clean the fins off in water.

• okay, i texted Al to see if he is in...I don;'t know about the non-refundable weather thing...the swell isnt supposed to be too bad but it is scheduled to improve on saturday...assuming nothing changes....it is blowing hard now and supposed tocontinue so it might be stirred up...thoughts?

i like to spear fish

• Well if the wind doesn't lay down by tomorrow then it will certainly be mixed up pretty good for Saturday. I think weather wise we will be fine; I just think we may have to contend with vis issues.

I am down with whatever is decided.

If we scratch the dive though I propose some makeup beach activities or trying to hunt anyway; just not in the tournament.

• I'm game for whatever, luckily these things are stationary so viz isn't too big a concern once we locate the reefline. I will register tomorrow pending your guys final judgement.

• go for it....worst thing that happens...we find no fish and decide to kill some beers :)

Agreed, short of it calling for high winds/waves/storms/etc I say do it. I won't cry over $25. A bad day of fishing beats anything else I can think of anyway.

• How do prepare Lion fish? we here in the Windwards and Leewards are just seeing the tip of the iceberg...As a charter boat captain I am a stakeholder and will be affected by the invasion, if i can get the word out to the local spearos and fishermen on how to saftly kill and eat um it will be a great start to keeping the coming flood in control... We have confirmed Lions in St Vincent since begining of this year

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• the two tips for killing them are
    1) shoot them in the face from above and then you can use the spear and their mouth as a handle...this lets you clip all the spines pretty easily
    2) use a para tip and have a slider that can push the fish off your spear into the bucket, this way you can avoid touching them at all until you are safe on land where it is a lot easier.

scuba guys have it pretty easy because it is easy to do underwater.

another thing I have noticed is that when I spear them they get destroyed, their bodies bend and they are harder to despine...a head shot makes them flare their spikes out which makes it a lot easier to clip...

there are many videos on youtube of the actual clipping, many neglect the anal spines so heads up

i like to spear fish