Interested in donating supplies to less fortunate spearos in Cuba?

• Hey guys, I figured that I'd post this in the Miami section since we have a lot of Cuban natives down here.

I'm planning on studying abroad starting in January with my school and will be going to Cuba for a semester. A few kids a couple years ago went on the same trip with my school and started a program that bring skateboarding supplies to the country since they are lacking most basic equipment to be able to enjoy the sport (wheels, bearings, trucks, etc.).

While there I was planning to dive and talked to a few members on this site and on other places on the internet about what I should expect over in Cuba. The majority of people I talked to gave me the same advice: to make sure to bring extra bands, shafts, blades, etc. because anything that breaks over there will NOT be replaceable since they do not manufacture many of the products needed to spearfish.

After thinking about it a bit tonight while driving I realized it would be cool to maybe do something similar to the skateboarding program and bring supplies into the country when I visit to help out the locals. I'm thinking about bringing anything from rubber, line, bungees, shafts, or anything small in size over there.

Is anyone here interested in maybe starting a little donation package to put together for the spearos in the country? Most of them have it pretty rough over there and resort to using some crazy setups to spear. I think it would be pretty cool to help make some type of impact on the spearing community over there.

At this point I really haven't thought anything fully out yet, but I figured fishing for ideas on this site would be a good start.

If anyone is interested in helping but doesn't have gear to donate I could set up a PayPal account for donations and that money can be put towards buying items like rubber in bulk online (like on eBay).

Let me know if you have any interest, ideas, or input.

Thanks!!

:thumbsup2:

• I am very happy to look through my gear for stuff to donate. I have a little bit of rubber for sure, some mono, some dyneema, and a bunch of old bands that have some life but don't fit my guns. I may even have a few snorkels and a mask I could spare

As an aside I think I might have some skating stuff too if you want to take that

Very good on you for taking up the initiative. Cheers

i like to spear fish

• Thanks a ton Lunker, that's really great of you.

The student who ran the skate program is named Miles. Here's the site in case you are interested in checking out the program: ¡Cuba Skate!

I should definitely be able to take that stuff over or, at the least, give it to Miles when I get back up to school.

I think that type of diving equipment is perfect for this cause: it might not be brand new or expensive, but it might be something you don't use and will be greatly appreciated over there. Used/Old/Missized bands would be awesome for you to donate. Masks, dyneema, and everything are also exactly what would work.

If anyone here wants to contact me about this shoot me a text at 305-904-9764.

Again, thanks a ton Lunker!

• Don't waste your time with rubber, they all use pneumatics over there. Shafts for pneumatic spearguns may be useful, but I don't see too many people parting with theirs, and shaft prices here are not cheap. Plus there may be difficulties matching up our shafts with their home made air guns, as a rule they use heavy shafts. Mono and Dyneema are never used for shooting line, rather some kind of cordage. I imagine they scrounge up cord from the military.

Masks, and snorkels of any kind are always appreciated. Since materials to put together and maintain carbon and fiberglass fins are not available, the best fins to bring are plastic fins like Cressi gara. It's warm for a long time out of the year, and Cuban divers are used to cold and difficult conditions, still any kind of old wetsuit would be welcome.

In general you'll find that those interested in spearfishing gear are subsistence spearfishermen. They know the local value of diving gear, it's part of their work, and they know they must pay for it. So your idea of charity is a little out of place IMO. Gear is much needed by those people, and the idea of giving it away arbitrarily doesn't work out well in reality. You best keep your stuff to yourself, wait until you make a friend or two, then gift them some gear. It's like having $100, you spread it among 200 people and $.50 each is not going to make any difference. But if you give one person the $100 it will make a difference for them. In general foreigners have some misguided idea about how goods should be distributed. Cubans in Cuba are very aware of the value of stuff, it's all about business and who knows who to get something over there.

Keep in mind you're only allowed so many pounds as part of your air fare. Anything past that you'll have to pay the airline to bring it on the plane. Also there's a limit in Cuba on how many pounds you can bring in without paying some BS fee. Also if you bring a lot of stuff Cuban customs may see it like you're going to sell it, and try to squeeze some money out of you.

• Thanks for the post Dan. I figured most of that would be coming from someone who knew more about the diving there than me.

I wasn't planning on giving it to random people, rather like you said to a few individuals who seemed like they could really use it. I'm sure some posters on the site are in-touch with spearos over in Cuba and could point me in the right direction to a few people that could make good use of the gear.

• I think that Dan is 100 percent right however if you find anyone who might benefit I am still happy to give my extras to you.
    I have a cressi mask that you can have and at least one snorkel.

Dan. What about dive flags, float or float making materials, loose shafts like for slings, and knifes. Any of that of use?

i like to spear fish

• A lot of diving/spearfishing in Cuba has some complication attached to it. The general idea is not to be seen as opposed to attracting attention with a dive flag. I've never seen any spearfisherman use a dive flag in my time there. There are also very few boats, and cuban boats move slow.

Floats are not usually a concern. Any old piece of Styrofoam float works for them, they often stick a knife right into it. I believe a Banksboard would be of real interest but it's too expensive. And again the idea is not to be seen, a board would attract too much attention, possibly jealously which may result in harassment by the police.

Any stainless steel dive knife is great. But it better be robust because it will see a lot of not gentle use.

Actually any shaft including sling shafts would be good, they'll just convert it into a pneumatic shaft.

• Cool. I have a few that I can part with. Although they are probably the hardest thing to fly with.
    When are you leaving Alejandro? I am home on Friday and I'll survey what I have

i like to spear fish