First Gun Build

• So the polespear was successful why not try to build a gun.
    This build has been in process over the last month and a half. Here are the specs of my build

90cm Custom CNC'd Roller Gun
    Neptonics Reverse Mech
    Riffe 9/32" Shaft
    Mako Slip Tip
    Hammerhead Remora 50m Reel
    Mako AR-15 Handle
    Custom Shaped ERGO AR-15 Grip
    Rollers - Temp, I have custom rollers on order

Overall, I had an amazing time designing and building the stock. I worked with the engineer at laguna tools to help prove out his new 4-axis CNC Turner :thumbsup2:. The design is a double action roller that has a notch for 250% and 300% band stretch. There is a few pieces missing like the retainers on the rollers and the retainer for the notches. I plan on building this particular one as a prototype to prove my roller design and make the final gun out of padauk (I already have the stock).

Let Me Know What you think!!!

• Looks pretty cool to me. You have access to some cool equipment. Looking forward to some fish pictures on the other end of that spear.

• Ok, first off I have lots of ideas all the time, but not the skill (quite yet). I NEED that machine!

Constructive criticism:

1. You'll need something to keep the wishbones from pinching the shaft and shooting line when as it exits the track. Look at this site, if you haven't thought of this yet. Turbid "Alemanni - spearguns, rollers and articles divers for sport fishing in the ocean or Mediterranean Sea

2. You'll want to maximize the band stretch, so I'd move the reel back and move the 350% stretch back as well. A rollergun doesn't apply the same amount of "work" onto the shaft as a dual banded gun, it's something on the order of 1.5-1.75 bands, depending on band length & stretch. (I did some calcs that I might ask you to verify)

3. Line routing is going to be a concern. The shooting line will cross over the bandsgoing from the muzzle to the mech line release. When you fire the gun, it can get hung up on the rubber as it flops around or get pinched on the band retainer (happened to me). if you route the shooting line underneath the gun, that should help.

Have fun, I built a roller that i hated throughout the build, because I made so so so many mistakes. I learned a lot about gun building in the process, though. It shot really nicely and softly, which was the best part, but then wood by the roller split a bit because I screwed too close to the end of the wood. I have pics, but haven't gotten around to posting my errors as I've been busy and traveling for work. I'm starting on iteration 2 of the roller this weekend, though: 110cm gun w/ 1 20mm band.

Edited once, last by JimCuda ().

• I like it. Why is there wood in front of the roller. Seems like wasted stock but I am ignorant

The wood that is forward of the roller is so I can attach the roller retainer to it. I thinking of using an eye bolt bent 90*. This is to ensure that the band does NOT come out of the pocket.

• Thats insane cool! can you throw up a picture of the track and top of gun facing the rollers?

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele