Pv 11-08-12

• Alex (Hookinfish) and I decided Wed that we would run my 12' RIB up to PV on Thur in hopes of finding some fish. I woke up at 2am to rain and hoped it was just the waterfall in my backyard :( We planned on leaving the harbor around 10-10:30. After getting the boat in the water and suiting up we take off with a cold front rolling in, rain in the forecast and a small craft warning up. We make the 20 mile run uphill in 1-2 swells. The 1 hr 20 min ride took it's toll on Alex's back but he soon forgot about it after we jumped into hazy 20-25' vis, 64-65 deg. water. We didn't see any WSB or hear croaking, but everything looked good. We saw bait schools, Barracuda, lots of life. Easily the best conditions I've seen at PV this year. I ended up taking a Sheephead, Sandbass, and a decent 21" Calico. I'll let Alex chime in with his catch.
    The ride home was alot smoother, but we were cold and getting pelted with rain. Got back to the slip about 6pm.

• Yeah we went out on Scotts 12 foot RIB for a good ride. My back is still sore but the dive was worth it. Vis was great when we jumped in the water you could make out the bottom at 40 feet. The water was especially blue looking today. That might be due to my new amber mask I don't know?

I made a drop to about 40 feet over a sandy patch and started looking for halibut when I noticed something behind a strand of kelp moving slowly. I didnt see anything come out from the other side so I figured it was a figment of my imagination. I kept looking through the sand and then looked up to see a 3 foot or so diameter Pacific Electric Ray checking me out. I admired it for a little while and decided I would hunt in the opposite direction. I have heard the shock they can deliver can stop your heart. Cool looking creature to see.

I was practicing some diving techniques that Carla was discussing at the Neptunes meeting and was happy that they were working. Like kicking from the hip and not from the knee and keeping my head tucked in when going down and hook breaths at the surface when surfacing.

Anyway Scott was kind enough to let me borrow his RA 110 with reel for the dive as I have been curious about them. I found a nice little rock fish that I thought I should try my aim on and swam a little away from it and took the shot. Very accurate gun with a nice site picture and plenty of power compared to my Riffe E90. Soon after I shot the rock fish I went down again to find a school of some large sheephead. I lined up on the largest one pulled the trigger and realized the safety was on. Doh! I then couldn't switch it off. The sheephead left and then a few more swam by just in time as I got the safety off. I took the larger of the two and my largest to date. Then on another dive I managed another nice sheepie but not as large. Had a great time and dove some spots I have never dove before. Thanks Scott for the spot on the boat and for letting me borrow your gun. Looking forward to getting back out there. The rain sure looks cool when your underwater. I will post a picture when I get off from work today.

• That was real nice reading,almost felt it Alex when the you pulled the trigger and safety was on..ouch! ;) And Scot that is some rough crap for a RIB much less 20 miles of it!!!..damn!!!
    Alex what is hook breaths at surface?

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• That was real nice reading,almost felt it Alex when the you pulled the trigger and safety was on..ouch! ;) And Scot that is some rough crap for a RIB much less 20 miles of it!!!..damn!!!
    Alex what is hook breaths at surface?

Carla explained that hook breathes are to help against samba and blacking out at the surface. When you surface you take a breath and hold it for a second then exhale and repeat for a total of three breaths. It is supposed to help bring oxygen back to your brain better.