Riffe Slip-Tips: Mini-Ice + Reg Ice Pick--What is the diff?

• Folks--- I recently got a Riffe Pole spear... It came with the Mini-Ice Pick Slip-tip 9/32 Complete Break away. I noticed it doesn't have a Hawaiian barb on it and it also has a big Brother model that can come= 9/32 or 5/16 with a 6mm thread and 5/16 or 3/8 with a 5/16-24 thread.

Question--- What are the advantages of the Mini-Slip Tips compared to the assumably larger slip-tips w/complete breakaway?

I am used to pole spear + old school Hawaiian Sling for 10 years (w/7' Spring stainless spear)--- the No-Barb thing is throwing me for a loop with this new Riffe gear...

Help??

• There are few brands of quality slip tips available today, so Riffe is no longer prominent with this item. Consequently not a lot of folks will be familiar with the models you're talking about. It would help if you post pics.

• Assuming the mini version is smaller, it's used with the polespear because the polespear has less power and less penetration than a speargun. It would be more difficult to push through a fish a full size slip tip. Slip tips in general can help you save the spear if you shoot a big fish, as there is less stress put on the spear.

• @ Dan--> if there are many brands of Slip Tips out there--- what are the Top Two Outperforming Brands? Please send links or nuff data that i can google it successfully... Does SpearDiver Sell Riffe branded items?

• the three best are

wong
    mori
    jbl warhead / (kitto based tip)

on a trip a month ago by the end of the trip almost everyone had a jbl on there gun after seeing the number of ono that were landed where the flopper was all that was holding on to the fish and it would have been lost with another tip . we landed over 100 fish on that trip

• @Phil.... Killer catch friend... Amazing... Only... I am old school Pole Spearing-- I could not seem to find a Mori Slip-Tip for a Pole Spear... They seem to be focused on spearguns only?

• @ Monster Slayer---- Emailed Mori at that AOL ady... Someone replied from that Address and said that the Mori Slip-Tip can be modified for the Riffe Spear Pole.... But sounds a bit hokey... Has Anyone done this before?? If am buying a Mori--- i want it for a complete Breakaway system because i plan on poking a huge-a$$ Fish that i need that level of penetration for... Capish? Anyone disagree?

Thanks peeps for the feedback...

Thomas

• Hi Tomas , having Mori build you a custom tip sounds like the best bet ..

Let him know what size of fish you intend to shoot so he knows what size to cut the spectra ...

I also found the using thick rubber 1/4 round o ring gasket does a great job holding the slip tip on

/ you can find the o-rings at Home Depot in the sink department

Good luck .. Joe