Speardiver carbon speargun barrel

• Dan, do you know if an Omer Cayman handle fits into the speardiver carbon barrel without modification? I tried looking for the Omer measurements online but couldn't find them. I know it's a long shot but if it does, I may be interested in a 130 barrel

• Carbon fiber is fragile in a way.. The fibers themselves are not particularly resilient to any type of damage and can easily be cut with any sharp objects. This is the reason that the carbon is combined with epoxy or other resin. The resin is to protect the fibers from cuts scrapes and other damage. Aluminum and titanium can't be scratched nearly as easily. When they do sustain scratches their strength is only changed by the amount of material removed. In most cases this is negligible. In the case of carbon fiber if a scratch is deep enough to damage fibers it's kind of like cutting part way through a rope and has a much greater impact on the strength of the objec

The are a couple misconceptions that I usually see.

One being that carbon fiber is "strong" in every way. Carbon fiber is just that, a fiber. It has an extremely high TENSILE strength to weight ratio but in compression is not remarkably strong at all. You will never see a column made of carbon fiber.

Another misconception is that carbon fiber is light and must float. CF has a specific gravity of 1.5-1.7 depending on the resin which means its 1.5 times denser than water and will sink.

The last one is probably the most important. People think that when they break composite fins they are breaking the carbon fiber itself. If you took carbon fibers before they were infused with resin you could bend them, twist them make them into just about any shape you want. They are fibers, just like a piece of rope. Now, in a fin you have a resin, and this resin is limited in how much it can flex. Resin is brittle. When the resin is asked to bend beyond its capabilities it snaps. A good resin and low resin to fiber ratio will make the best product.

Now back on topic. Dans barrels are fairly thick compared to others I have seen on the market. That being said if you swung one like a bat and hit a pole it might break but inside its intended use you would have to come up with an unreasonable scenario to ever make one fail. Assuming no manufacturing flaws (unfortunately it happens)

The strength of carbon fiber does come from the fibers, but if one or two break it wont have a significant impact because there are thousands of strands in a weave. Also Carbon fiber has a higher tensile strength than Kevlar but does not work in a vest because the fibers are fragile. Kevlar thread has much better abrasion resistance which is why it is much better suited for use in vests.

The poles mentioned are not columns. Sorry I didn't clarify but I was using the engineering definition of a column which is a member that undergoes simple compression. Sail masts that use carbon resist bending and are not under a compression load and neither are the booms.

Bike frames are also used for carbons rigidity but mostly for its light weight. Even the high end bikes they still use aluminum, titanium and tungsten alloys where large compression loads are seen. Mountain bikes frames are rarely made from carbon because they can crack. They still use aluminum frame bikes on the tour.

As for the float vs sink I have spoken to a lot of people that don't understand why carbon fiber guns sink if they flood. Its possible you haven't run into anyone who has this misconception but I have. Yes aluminum is heavier that CF but for some reason SOME people understand a metal gun wont float if its not plugged but assume a CF gun will.

• The poles you mentioned are not columns. Sorry I didn't clarify but I was using the engineering definition of a column which is a member that undergoes simple compression. Sail masts that use carbon resist bending and are not under a compression load and neither are the booms. .

Xan, Clearly you are not a sailor and have very limited knowledge of the physics of a sailing mast and the forces on them, FYI the bending is to adjust sail trim more than a load factor on a CF mast...Sorry for derail but that is my profession...lol...

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• I windsurfed a little so I understand how a carbon mast bends to adjust trim. I don't think Xan's logic or description is at odds with the principles of its use. The bottom line is carbon fiber is very strong under load in certain directions, but at the same time almost fragile in others, relatively speaking.

• I windsurfed a little so I understand how a carbon mast bends to adjust trim. I don't think Xan's logic or description is at odds with the principles of its use. The bottom line is carbon fiber is very strong under load in certain directions, but at the same time almost fragile in others, relatively speaking.

Xan and I PM'ed and talked about it, interesting conversation, Xan's a smart guy...
    Windsurfing and small sailboats have very little in-common with a modern sailboat Dan in terms of the physics on the rig and the loads put on the mast, loads(lots) of compression forces downwards. Yes the underlying truth is it is very strong stuff but only strong in the direction the fibers were layed up to take load

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele