Missed Fish

• Ive had it happen to me a few times and have replayed the scenario over and over in my head and could never find a reason why other than devine intervention, complete hallucination or fish that took the Red Pill.

Anyone ever cross paths with a great fish, do everything necessary to get within range, line up for that perfect shot, squeeze the trigger thinking "another one in the boat".....only to realize uve completely missed the fish???

I mean you've been on target all day before the miss and you're on target getting fish even after the miss but that one miss was UNEXPLAINABLE. Spear not even slightly bent, shooting form was consistent and gun fired smoothly....:confused2:

• Yeah, I remember the feeling just before this shot, as you described, taking it for granted. But I don't dwell on it much. Too many factors involved to arrive at a conclusion, the least of which is the fish could've twitched just as you squeezed the trigger. So what did you miss Khalel? :)

• Lately....a cubera at least 40lbs broadside about 10ft away for the most. Ive had it happen with cubera and black grouper but i attribute that to their quickness because we have some really fast ones here. Ive actually seen them stand up for the shot, do enough just to dodge the spear and remain right there while the gun is being reloaded, only to flee after it is lol. The latest miss just made me think more about the other misses on other species that arent nearly as quick or havent even moved because the fish wasnt wary with their normal "vooping" fashion and he was large and seemed too close that a dodge would help. I tend to dwell on it cause it helps me with the next encounter. For instance, ive learned to take a shot on cubera when they're heading toward me or quartering away...cause if it tries to dodge it just turns more broadside helping the shot.

• I'd like to say not to dwell on it, but I'd probably cry myself to sleep if I missed a 40lb cubera.

• Ive had this happen before and it usually leaves me staring at my gear in shear disbelief, dumbfounded and in shock.

It sucks but its not nearly as bad as hitting a fish and having it come off and knowing its going to die.

• I've done the same a fair few times, most notably on a couple of good wahoo who were kind enough to sit still for the shot and the reload, but didn't hang around for round 2.
    It's worth checking for bits of flesh or scales stuck under the flopper during every reload.

• That could be your problem right there. I used that tip exclusively for 3 years when I first started, and had a lot of missed fish. A single flopper is better.

I doubt thats it, ive been hitting fish very consistently with that tip from great distances....its just that odd miss ever so often. But i will look into it and ask around, thanks for the insight Dan. Ive always wanted to change to two floppers staggered over and under though.

• I would say the nerves got the best of you. You may think you did everything correctly but excitement and anxiety probably did you in. I know it has happened to me a couple of times with big muttons, on broad shots of all shots. In my case I would rush the shot not aiming properly and completely missing the target. But don't worry, you'll get another chance.

• I would say the nerves got the best of you. You may think you did everything correctly but excitement and anxiety probably did you in. I know it has happened to me a couple of times with big muttons, on broad shots of all shots. In my case I would rush the shot not aiming properly and completely missing the target. But don't worry, you'll get another chance.

I understand what you're saying Adrian, it has happened to me a few times over the years especially when you see a big fish all of a sudden but this time it wasnt the case. Everything was on point which is why i could never explain it when it happens. I just end up saying "today was his day, a next day will be mine" lol. As for another chance, who knows...i just might meet that very same fish when he's 80lbs and it will be MY DAY that time :D

• I like that attitude buddy

Deer hunter will talk about a prize buck jumping their arrow. It is crazy how highly tuned animals can be. Not that they could have consciously avoided the spear, but their awareness an reflexes happened to move them the right vector and the right distance.

Next time he will dodge right into the spear ;)

i like to spear fish

• Maybe it WAS an 80 lb fish and you misjudged the distance and came up short? I've shot a few 40 lb plus cuberas and at the time of the shot thought they were in the 20ish lb range.
    Same with a few blacks.

• Nah i didnt misjudge the range cause i shot a 12lb Mutton through the face near the very same spot on the next dive after missing the cubera and reloading

Just when I was feeling bad for you.....:D

I had a bent shaft....came that way new. I didn't ckeck until after I missed two nice blacks. For about a year after that, I couldn't hit a black sitting in front of me. It was weird....I lost my mojo on grouper but I could hit cero mackerel on the move.