Speargun designs I can't stand

• This gun was made in response to using a long euro gun and wishing so badly it was just a little longer and more powerful too many times. Maybe one day when I'm a better hunter and can get hoos closer a single band euro might be all I need but until then I'd rather put less schoolies on the boat and be prepared for everything.

That's a hard thing to do. My 130 railgun pretty much fills that purpose but it has it's limits as I found out the hard (and rather disappointing way) last weekend.

While diving a rig in 200' of water for Amberjack, I dove down and saw a big shadow coming out of the murk. I figured it was a big AJ and then noticed the 3' long sickles:@ Two monster yellowfin tuna! Kicked as long as I could until I felt that they were in range, (and also at the end of my breath-hold)and fired, only to have the shooting line reach the end of it's length and "kiss" the fish:(

We can never be prepared for all the "what ifs".The best thing to do is prepared for what's most likely to be there.

• That's a hard thing to do. My 130 railgun pretty much fills that purpose but it has it's limits as I found out the hard (and rather disappointing way) last weekend.

While diving a rig in 200' of water for Amberjack, I dove down and saw a big shadow coming out of the murk. I figured it was a big AJ and then noticed the 3' long sickles:@ Two monster yellowfin tuna! Kicked as long as I could until I felt that they were in range, (and also at the end of my breath-hold)and fired, only to have the shooting line reach the end of it's length and "kiss" the fish:(

We can never be prepared for all the "what ifs".The best thing to do is prepared for what's most likely to be there.

Some friends ask me "why all that power?"
    I will always say that I prefer to loose a small fish because I'm overpowered then losing a big one because I'm underpowered

• Just for clarification, I am not saying that I would specifically take a 130 railgun in the pursuit of large tuna. If specifically targeting tuna, I would take a gun appropriate for targeting those fish like a 4-5 band 65" minimum length gun.

My point is, that I am not going to take a tuna gun out to the rigs to hunt AJ, Cobia and Snapper, in the off-chance that a tuna swims by.

If you take a look at my gallery, all the fish in there with the exception of the white seabass, were taken with a 2 band railgun.

• I'd rather be comfortable and happy diving all day, than be weighed down by a huge gun all that time. Even if an unexpected huge fish comes by, and I didn't get him because I couldn't get close enough, so be it, I'm happy the fish gets to live.

• If your using only Euro guns its easy to carry the next size up, a tuna gun sucks to carry no matter who/where you are and they get substantially bigger as you add cm

Ive come to love my 120cm when everyone has 100cm guns ect. when your good/comfortable..whats an extra 20cm? You shouldnt be making long sweeping swings like skeet shooting...that would be the only way to notice the extra length

• yeah i just have one extra 5/8 band on my 100cm gun totaling 3 5/8 bands . more than enough for anything i will see

Tufal I applaud your enthusiasm but what have you shot at and seen to form a opinion on what bands what length gun or what size bands to have? When some of the best speros around have discussions above my pay grade I just listen but that's just me ;)

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Just a knife then :D

[VIMEO]61603470[/VIMEO]

props to the diver in that video, he has one big set of brass balls for putting his hand that close to a monkfish. those fish are psychotic devil monsters. one of the few fish ive shot thats tried to eat my face.

• The next speargun design that I can't stand is a roller. It's the latest fad and all the manufacturers are jumping on it. The hype is just awesome. I sourced a very well made roller muzzle a year ago, it matches perfectly with the Speardiver carbon tubes. I built a nice carbon roller gun to see if it's something I want to produce. Compared to a conventional speargun muzzle design the roller is a ridiculous concept. Takes too long to load, forget about getting a second shot on that school of fish. I hated the long drawn out spear release. Hated the bulky profile.

Yes rollers are pretty and well thought out guns, but they're just not practical for a bottom scratcher like me. Just going ahead and saying it because no one else seems to. It's amazing we've been able to get fish at all before the advent this roller revolution.. If I seem to come across a little strong about this, it's because I'm tired of hearing about roller this and roller that. Don't believe me? Spend the cash on that new toy. IMO there is not a circumstance where a roller is the number one choice. This thing about regulations somewhere allowing only one band on a speargun is just a fantasy.

• The next speargun design that I can't stand is a roller. It's the latest fad and all the manufacturers are jumping on it. The hype is just awesome. I sourced a very well made roller muzzle a year ago, it matches perfectly with the Speardiver carbon tubes. I built a nice carbon roller gun to see if it's something I want to produce. Compared to a conventional speargun muzzle design the roller is a ridiculous concept. Takes too long to load, forget about getting a second shot on that school of fish. I hated the long drawn out spear release. Hated the bulky profile.

Yes rollers are pretty and well thought out guns, but they're just not practical for a bottom scratcher like me. Just going ahead and saying it because no one else seems to. It's amazing we've been able to get fish at all before the advent this roller revolution.. If I seem to come across a little strong about this, it's because I'm tired of hearing about roller this and roller that. Don't believe me? Spend the cash on that new toy. IMO there is not a circumstance where a roller is the number one choice. This thing about regulations somewhere allowing only one band on a speargun is just a fantasy.

I agree with that for the most part. I like my guns simple. The only situation that I se the roller being practical is for some o the North East style fishing. Specifically for big striped bass. The vis is terrible and the fish can be up to 60 lbs or more with very thick skulls. They need the power of a longer gun without the length.

• If the vis is terrible you'll be shooting the fish at point blank range. Do some penetration tests at that range and you'll see that two hot 16mm bands on a 100cm gun are plenty. Or a good pneumatic.

I don't feel like an expert, and shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath together with the true experts. But I don't think it's necessary to be an expert to come to the conclusions I've shared here, it's just some experience and common sense.

amen to that. wont ever catch me using one of them. However, I wont fault anyone who builds whatever they want, or what works for them, or for using what works for them.

some of the way things are done with spearfishing remind me of when i was into airsoft awhile ago... some guys i knew in that sport if you want to call it that would go so far as to buy parts made for real guns to make their toy guns look as authentic as possible. in short... some just have to go above and beyond.

• I was never able to completely wrap my mind around the concept of the roller gun...

If more power is needed on a shorter gun, why not just add another band? It seems a much simpler and more practical solution to all the "bells and whistles".

The part I can't really seem to wrap my mind around how increased band length is going to give anymore real power. The length of the rubber still needs to be stretched to the same ratio to be effective. With that said; doesn't that translate to the same amount of power?

• Tough break doing yourself injury simply trying to go underwater. I think your a good guy, your always positive and pleasant.
    Thats my point Tufal you need some frame of reference to form an opinion as you have ZERO experience in the water and spearfishing, so you should not comment until you do. I have zero experience building a gun so I have no opinion on gun building other than to appreciate what others have created. Also I try not to comment on gun styles as here in the Caribbean we have very limited exposure to the many gun styles available and very little opportunities to fire the many varieties unlike the US and European speros. I like to come here and read a wealth of knowledge from experienced divers from all over the world and with out meaning any disrespect to you not uninformed noob opinions although noob questions are incredibly useful as I have plenty of those myself :D.... Sit back read get SOME or ANY experience then chat all you like is my point. Think about another beginner reading a beginners opinion based on zero experience and following it and getting into trouble due to it.

its just form the practice shots i have done , but i cannot do what i like because of my injury . i am banned from the water by my parents , surgeon and physical therapist . but i do feel that the alloy i used is a little heavy , even at 325 % pull 2 5/8 bands are just enough , so i added an extra band for the hell of it . it does seem that the euro guns with 7mm shafts are faster in terms of the shaft velocity . But what ever i say on this forum is just my OPINION and should be taken as such .

PS [ the judgement of my build was done by my father using the experience he had with band guns and his favorite the NIMROD pneumatic ] but i never claim to be any where near guys like Dan and Don , i was just sharing my opinion .

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Judah, I do. IDK, will have to try.

George, the longer band accelerates the spear in a noticeably slower way. I felt like I was waiting for it to leave the gun, and felt the rubber passing/contracting along the rollers.