Wong vs Tinman Handle

• Ordered a handle by Tinman who makes some nice gear. I like the AR-15 style high grade aluminum handle with rubber grip. Looks mean! When it arrived I pulled it out and noticed that the angle of the grip is significantly more angled aft in relation to the base mount (laongitudinal line of the gun) requiring my wrist to be unnaturally cocked up and the leading edge of my fingers/grip to be pointing down in order to point the muzzle of my gun level with the rest of the stock. If I hold it with a neutral grip the muzzle points high. My Wong 1911 style grip and my Steve Alexander grips allow for a neutral hold which allows the guns longitudinal axis to be level with muzzle pointing straight ahead in line with the entire stock.

Anyone else notice this? I really would like to put that AR handle by Tinman on my hybrid build when I'm done, but not at the expense of a less accurate shot. I realize we all have different styles, techniques in developing our own personal sight pictures, but thought I would throw this out there and see what others are saying. This in no means is to rag on Tinmans handles...I think they are the best looking ones out there. Just bummed that the angle of those handles may not be the fit I personally need for my spearguns. I shoot and own several AR's, M-4's and love the style for my fire arms.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Aloha!

• You are not the first to comment about the difference. I prefer the AR angle. Especially with the houge rubber grip. All I shoot is mid-handles, perhaps that is why. Ford/Chevy humans are incredibly adaptive to poor ergonomics.

Dustan Baker

• Aimrite handle has a very poor shape for a speargun application. The AR handle is much more ergonomic and correct. The angle allows good leverage on the gun for tracking up/down and left/right. To the contrary of what you said the AR handle allows for a more natural grip when the arm is fully extended before the shot.

• Well the nice thing about these is that you can change the handle by removing the 1/4"x20 bolt from the inside and put any after- market AR handle on it.

I bought 3 different handles from Midway USA. Some of them have a rounded section coming off the top that may need to be cut off in order to installed on this frame.

I found one that was very similar in feel to the Alexander handle. I don't know what it is. The handle is back at home and I'm out in CA for a while. Sorry I cant be of more help.

• Great input. Did a lot of handle swapping since my post. I keep coming back to the fact that my neutral grip with arm fully extended is different than perhaps another's neutral grip. Shooting a speargun is most similar to firing a handgun, and sig's, glock's, etc all have varied angles to their brand. I tactically shoot a glock but have to change my hand angle when shooting an H&K USP. My buddies prefer the Sig over the Glock, but we both are deadly with our own preferred guns due to the fact the barrels align with our own neutral grips. Steve Alexander and Daryl (the handle is his design although Rick of Aimrite used to build it for D's guns) are a much better natural fit for my arm-hand-barrel alignment. That won't stop me from trying to shoot Tinman's AR handle cause the thing just looks so "SICK!" It's amazing how long you can be a shooter and never realize that there are other variables that could change.

So thanks for all the input. Very interesting. BTW, got a new Speardiver reel and love it!

Aloha

PS, My buddies in the Teams all use their own personalized weapons much for the same reason...on target placement should be a natural extension of your instinctive movements and not an unnatural kinetic manipulation of your body. These are big words for a simple Island boy!

HUI KOA KAI O HAMAKUA
    MAHALO KE AKUA
    E MALAMA I KE KAI

• The thing to remember when comparing hand gun grips and speargun grips, is that a handgun is much shorter and you don't need to move it against water resistance. A handle without an angle (sometimes referred to as rake) offers no leverage on the speargun. You can easily verify this out of the water, by holding a moderately heavy speargun out with your arm fully extended. It will be hard with the angled grip, but impossible with a straight grip. BTW I'm not saying this to convince you makoa. I just want this information out there.

So the Pelaj handle no good.

Cressi handle good.

And while we're on the subject of handles. The Aimrite / Merou handle, while robust it too is not well angled, and when swinging a long gun tends to rotate in the hand forcing the diver to exert a lot of grip pressure to stop it from doing so.

• Rear handle:
    Handle AR and Wong, I am inclined to the AR by the angle

Change Nemesis Pelaj handle by cressi handle, waiting fishing with right angle handle fatigue my hand

In favor of Wong ergonomic seems for fingers.

Mid handle I can not say

Asa trasera: Me inclinaría por el Wong debido a que tiene más ángulo y asi se ejerce menos tensión e la muñeca en algunas técnicas de pesca (espera, acecho)

Cambie una culata pelaj de un nemesis por varias razones, instale una Cressi comanche muy básica, pero me da buen agarre y dsifruto más las esperas que es para lo que compre este fusil pelaj 120.

Asa intermedia (Midhanle) no tengo ni idea pero creo que se comportaría igual

La asa AR al ser modular puede permitir a los curiosos con las manos hacer cambios interesantes.

A favor del Wong el agarre de los deos parece ergonomico .

Un Hombre tiene que creer en algo.......
    Creo que me iré de pesca!!!