Muzzles with screw in bands specs

• All muzzles using screw-in bands that I've seen have 14mm-1 threading. 14mm is the diameter of the "bolt" and 1 (1mm) is the pitch/distance between the threads. Yet all pre-made bands and wishbones using this system, are described as having 16mm threading, or being suitable for a 16mm head (muzzle). Does anyone know what is the correct description? and if there is other larger threading?

EDIT - Band adapters with correct specs are available from FreediveStore.com

• Dan, As we talked about this in offline dialog, It sure does seem that the jardon of "16mm threading" on various Dive gear sites is misleading and confusing.

History:

I made a batch of a couple 100, 16mm - 1 - Adapters for an Australian Dive store, in the mean time as the slow boat traveled to the "Land Down Under". I sent some to Dan to sample and we combined efforts to try to determine what the hell was wrong with these not fitting into a Muzzles calling for "16mm threading"

The Parts made it and were tested to fit Gun muzzles with a true 16mm-1 thread spec.

The Beuchat Muzzle, I bought with this product description "16mm threading" was measured to be 14mm-1 by me with gauges in hand.

Why would a manufacturer produce a 14mm-1 thread hole and a callout of "16mm threading".

This Term is wide spread..... Thanks again, Dan for your time and help on this.

For those of you wanting to go deeper into Metric threads and Classes, Here is a good Web link.

METRIC THREAD -- EXTENDED THREAD SIZE RANGE

• Why would a manufacturer produce a 14mm-1 thread hole and a callout of "16mm threading".

Because most of the people buying them dont actually know the difference between a true 14mm thread and a 16mm thread. They just use the same size as the band itself to try to make it "idiot proof". They arent intending to give accurate specs to other people looking to design/make parts or products. Frustrating for sure.

• This being the case I updated the product description for the 14mm-1 Euro Muzzle Band Adapters. Look for it to now magically appear elsewhere :rolleyes1:

These adapters are for European speargun muzzles with screw in bands. 14mm-1 specifies a 14mm diameter and 1mm thread pitch. 14mm-1 is the most common threading and is used in the vast majority of speargun muzzles. This correct specification is largely unknown, and pre-made screw-in bands and wishbones are often incorrectly labled as "16mm threading" or "to fit a 16mm head". If you are unsure which adapters fit your muzzle, measure the diamter of the screw opening, it will either be 14mm or 16mm. If it's 14mm these are the adapters that will fit.

I must have a screw loose (pun intended) to spent so much time on such a small item. But I couldn't leave it with wrong information either.

• I have only head Marc Valentin, when I can measure it with vernier tool

wishbone bands with threads, the problem is not equal?

Solo tengo un cabezal Marc Valentin, cuando pueda medirlo con el vernier publico aquí el resultado.

Con las Bandas con wishbone de rosca no es el mismo problema?

Un Hombre tiene que creer en algo.......
    Creo que me iré de pesca!!!

• I don't know if this lends much to the subject... But two of first euro guns I've used is the Omer master & Omer sport. They came equipped with either a 20mm band or a 16mm band... And each band diameter had its own thread size.

The standard threading for that 16mm band diameter is the industry standard now, while the adaptor for the 20mm band faded away. I recall explaining to someone a long time ago that the picasso 19mm & 21mm bands used a "16mm adaptor"... & that, to me, always referred to the adaptor for the 16mm diameter bands & nothing to do with threading itself.

Nowadays everything seems relatively standardized so I don't worry about semantics, preferring to refer to threading as "standard threading." Just thought I'd give some background. :)