Ceviche, crudo or any other way?

• Nice Luis. That Christmas ceviche looks amazing.

Next batch I am gonna add either mango or papaya to give it a whirl

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Ceviche is a staple o my diet so now I can branch out and try some varieties

i like to spear fish

• How long will ceviche stay fresh? I made way more than I could eat and I was wondering if it will still be good tomorrow.

For me, ceviche is like chili. (American "truck stop" type chili)
    It tastes better after being in the refrigerator overnight. I guess it all gets blended together more?

• I agree completely Hank. It's good the first day, but it's so much better the day after.

• Just had another round tonight and it was as good or better. The flavors have blended a little more and there was no issue with overcooking which is what I feared. Thanks guys.

• Great thread, love me some ceviche.

I usually use mutton snapper as the fish, but sometimes wahoo or yft depending on what I have.

I agree with the key limes for scorching the fish if so desired.

Ingredients change depending on what I can find fresh, but I like
    Mango
    Papaya
    cilantro
    sea salt
    serano peppers
    red onion
    diced tomatos
    spring onions

If using avocados, I add them separately to the individual bowls since they don't keep real well in the fridge.

If you are looking for a different taste add some coconut milk to the final mix as well.

For those in Miami, Jaguar in the grove has some real good peruvian ceviche. Try and hit it when I am down that way.

• My 2c. All of above are great recipes, in addition to the usual I always add a couple cap of white vinegar, a splash of a lemon soda like sprite and some TOASTED sesame oil.

• Ceviche is by far the dish, I get the most good feed back on;).

My all time favorite fish for this, is Grey trigger.

The tanginess of the vinegar really ties together the veg, the sweetness of the soda mellows it abit and makes the citrus nice and deep so that everything is submerged. The sesame oil and a bit of good olive oil, adds a subtle layer of flavor, a fresh jalapeño seeded and finely chopped is also a great addition

Hope it helps

. Give it a try and let me know

• This could start an argument, but it doesn't have to:
    Peruvian ceviche is king.

The size of the chunks of fish is about double the size of what the OP suggests. Here's the low-down:

1 or 2 lbs of fish (depends on you) - they will usually use tilapia, but we all know there's way better available.

sea salt

a bunch of fresh cilantro

sliced onions (stick in the freezer for about a half-hour after you slice them)

the pepper you want is called "aji amarillo" and it has a little heat and a LOT of taste, very distinctive. For 2 lbs of tilapia I could use 2 or 3 Tbs.

I usually go about 50/50 lemon and lime, because Peruvian limes are green but not sweet like our green ones.

Garlic to taste.

I will usually serve with boiled, cooled sweet potato spears and cooked, cooled corn on the side. Make sure your leche de tigre gets all over your veggies.

Mix a good bit of sea salt into the fish, until it pretty well dissolves into the meat.
    Mix the fish and chilled onion in with the lemon/lime juice. Mix in the aji amarillo. You really only need to leave it here for 15 minutes or so. When you see the meat go opaque, it is cooked.

About 5 minutes before serving, mix in your cilantro.

As for garlic, I will mix a portion in at the beginning when I put the juice on the fish, and a portion on toward the end when I put in the cilantro.

• I am big fan of Peruvian ceviche. I have just pulled my inspirations from a few cultures and added my own twists and cut a few corners hahaha. I honestly make it a little different each time to experiment

i like to spear fish

• I personally add an heirloom tomato or two to my ceviche and some times a bit of orange juice. Makes it almost like a salsa.

I also have a sour orange tree in my back yard that is as bitter/sour and acidic as a lime but has the flavor of an orange. It makes a good substitute for limes to mix things up.

• I'm going to have to broaden my citrus horizons for ceviche.
    Do try the aji amarillo sometime. You can get jars of it on Peruvian food websites, or if you have a global food market around you. Doña Maria is a decent brand. It's almost unheard of fresh in the US, but even in a jar it has a distinctive enough flavor to be worth it.

• Try to add a splash of ketchup to the mix. It gives a nice touch.

Ah! And eat with green plantain fried tostones as a side. They mate VERY well with ceviche.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Resurrecting an old thread as I have been craving some ceviche, I like to liberally dose it down with some tabasco to give it a kick :D pictures to come later in the week.