Ceviche, crudo or any other way?

• I grew up in a culture and country with ceviche an almost daily treat - Panama. The Panamanian style is simple: fresh Corvina cut into small cubes, Aji chombo (habanero), diced onion, salt and small limes (key limes) and nothing else.

Traveling brought me into contact with very different styles of Ceviche all different and all good. Those from Mexico, Costa Rice, El Salvador, Colombia, and then my favorite the Peruvian Ceviche made in front of your using Lenguada (flat fish I think). I also found the Baja style different from other parts of Mexico.

Bottom line is how different Ceviche is in different countries, regions of countrys, but they are all good.

You are making me hungry but a good ceviche requires fresh fish which is hard to find, along with Key Limes, here landlocked in north Texas so will wait until I return to mother ocean in August. I occasionally make it here but just not the same - maybe need the ocean breeze along with other ingredients :laughing:

• I grew up in a culture and country with ceviche an almost daily treat - Panama. The Panamanian style is simple: fresh Corvina cut into small cubes, Aji chombo (habanero), diced onion, salt and small limes (key limes) and nothing else.
    :

Right after I first came to Belize I went to Costa Rica and had ceviche like that. Really good.

The Spaniard, (my dive buddy before) made it with just fish also. Cero Mackerel I believe. Cilantro and oneio and lime. That was it. Really good.

• A ceviche thread! nice!!
    Ceviche and the variations of it are my favorite food on this world. And I think the variations, as with food in general, are endless, just need to identify which ones you like the most.
    I got some new ideas from this thread, I will test them eventually. Thanks!
    And another vote for Peruvian ceviche!, from a Peruvian :D

• I prepared this one last weekend to watch the soccer games with some friends, not exactly a ceviche. , maybe more of a "tiradito". (ask for tiradito when you go to a restaurant, you will like it). It is raw fish cut very thin, then add a sauce made with pepper (rocoto, aji amarillo or other aji). I prepare the sauce on the blender with what I can find, but usually aji, onion, celery, lime, garlic, salt, ginger.

• Whats the name of those super sized corn kernel? I always get them when I go to Peruvian restaurants but I forget the name :confused1:

Choclo? Some people call it "maiz", which means corn. But choclo is more specific.
    The light colored is choclo and it is boiled. You can get it at publix, sedano, bravo, etc, in frozen bags. Just boil them 5-10 minutes and it is ready to eat.
    The dark ones are called cancha, and those are fried/toasted.

• Choclo? Some people call it "maiz", which means corn. But choclo is more specific.
    The light colored is choclo and it is boiled. You can get it at publix, sedano, bravo, etc, in frozen bags. Just boil them 5-10 minutes and it is ready to eat.
    The dark ones are called cancha, and those are fried/toasted.

Thats it, choclo. Thanks, maiz to us is just regular corn.

Here is how my mother showed me how to make ceviche, I usually bring this if any heavy drinking is going to take place :D

20 freshly squeezed limes
    1 cup clamato
    1 cup of chopped cilantro
    1 whole onion diced
    1 green pepper diced
    1 red pepper diced
    Liberal dose of tabasco
    Sea salt, celery salt and black pepper to taste
    Mix of seafood, this one only has 1lb of bay scallop,1lb of salad sized shrimp and 1/2lb of squid, I usually like to add spiny lobster and octopus but did not find any fresh, only thing I leave out of my ceviche is fish.

• How do you make your tostones?

Peel and cut thick. Deep fry until start to golden. Take em out,smash with a "tostonera" or between two cutting boards, fry again until crisp and add salt inmediadely after removing them from the oil

• Mix of seafood, this one only has 1lb of bay scallop,1lb of salad sized shrimp and 1/2lb of squid, I usually like to add spiny lobster and octopus but did not find any fresh, only thing I leave out of my ceviche is fish.

I love seafood mixed ceviche too, specially octopus, lobster, squid, shrimp, etc, anything fresh is usually good in there.... But, no fish in your ceviche? never?? :confused2:
    To each his own, I guess... Ok just send me the fish and Ill take care of it! :toast2: