Speardiver 400 lb & 300 lb mono line for speargun shooting line

• That's what I thought. Like I said I wouldn't expect it to hold anything like that. The crimped loop gives it a lot of holding power. In a pinch if you don't have a crimper, you can just make a loop using the crimp and burn the end of the mono, it will hold some fish.

I didn't want the crimp hanging out in the wind/water getting trashed. Most of the fish get removed from un-clipping the line so that joints gets pulled thru the fish.

Let me take a pic of the old one I have, The slider was made back in the 90's and was silver brazed. The concept works, not to 400 lb rating, but well over 200 lbs.

• OLD SLIDER from 1990's been in service for long time. Might have been one of the 1st parts I made. My brazing doesn't look so good, I didn't even get the joint wicked properly.

I grinded off the end where I had the mono melted, and still couldn't break it.

And Yes, I do understand the loop and thimble is a stronger connection.

• I see the concept is that the same force pulling the mono through the slider is also adding tension to the crimp too. Like a knot in many ways.

You are right though. Low stretch mono is a must in that application more than most.

i like to spear fish

• How to determine which mono is the lowest stretch material out there is the question.

Vague descriptions and no material specs. I did find some info on fluorocarbon lines for fishing and comparisons to Mono. One guy was talking about Mono actually having some small air bubbles in the line where fluorocarbon does have that.

The FC is more dense and heavier than Mono and refracts light less. (a pole fishing concern).

I couldn't find any FC line rated to 400 lbs.

Must be so IP (intellectual property) going in all of this, not getting much feedback at all.

I'm going to run a test and see if I can over crimp the fitting. I will chuck up two pieces of Stainless and drill a hole in the joint Do a crimp with the press, then open up the hole and repeat.

I suspect the first one will just push the mono out of the crimp area.

Hopefully I can find a sweet spot where I don't have to rough up the ID hole of crimp for a bite into mono.

I think I will break out the 400 lb fish scale to measure results. Below is my crude test fixture when I was testing swaging dies for stainless steel spheres on SS cable. Used truck bumper and a big Oak and come-along. I had big piece of plywood for a shield when it went. Wish I had a better test set up, but it works in "hillbilly mode".

• A come-along, now there's a word I think I haven't heard in 25 years. Nearly had my chest crushed by one that let go and flew past me. Summer job loading railway cars for a shipping company..

Yep, they are dangerous. I wear a welding jacket , big leather glove and get behind the sheet of plywood for a block. The kid stands way back and reads scale for me (and calls me crazy). I never did break my final cable swags, My pink rope let go just over 300 lbs for that test day.

• The Cyrano's out of the box (new) didn't come with a spring. I got rid of the spring on my own Mares guns. The old slider I made that I sliver brazed were much longer than these, I milled them out of Stainless from what I had kicking around..

I added the spring to push the slider up the shaft a tad for better contour of the line coming around the muzzle. It does add a little bit line tension on the line on the front vs just the rear shock absorber that does most of the work.

If I would have made the slider out of 1 -1/4" stock, then it could have been one piece vs 3. It would be better design.

How these guys are using these guns:

On Scuba most of the time :
    They shot a fish and just pull the spear thru the fish and leave fish on the line :
    Shoot next fish :
    When it gets too much, they string all the fish, unclip the line and pull it thru.

Realize their shoots are typically 5 - 8 foot or into a hole. Their focus for setup is for ease of use, and speed to get next shot off.

My Dialog on mono is more just a curiosity now, for my technical understanding. The mix of Nylon and unknown material properties of low stretch mono vs regular mono is interesting.

Dan is the only mono seller that advertises low stretch feature. Dan is also the only one that shows a strength test as well. BTW, Dan, your video impressed Joe, my Mech. engineer.

Got a manufacturer now, I will try to get past sales staff to technical person and see what they say.