140cm carbon Euro

• Had a spare Beuchat Marlin handle from on old gun that I don't use any more so I thought I would make a quick Euro for some testing prior to making a roller gun.

Its a very basic gun, laminated timber core with a carbon wrap. Its rigged and ready for shooting, now all I need is some time.

• This was an old blank I made over a year ago that had been sitting in my rack waiting to get the camo treatment. I recently gave a RA Sparid to a junior diver and noticed a gap in my guns and knocked it up over a weekend and finished epoxy coating it over 2 weeks.

I did not get build pictures of this one but will take some of the next few.

This gun is very basic but I wanted to make sure I could get a reasonable finish with the carbon before moving on to something with sexier curves.:D

After the next Euro with hips I want to do the same thing only in a staged roller.

My existing contracts finish tomorrow and my next major project is 2 - 3 months away. I still have maintenance and minor works but in 18 years I have never had a day off due to lack of work before.:@

I can not sit around doing nothing so I am going to make some guns for myself and my friends. Expand on what I have been doing in the past.

I am only a hobby gun builder and waiting for my dream job as a Playboy photographer to become available.:thumbsup2:

I would be so dedicated to that job.:laughing:

• Ha ha ha. I am a Builder / Carpenter & Joiner. I run my own company. Unfortunately our area has suffered from a steady decline in building approvals and many good trades have left our industry.

Playboy just seems like a job with a lot of um....satisfaction.:laughing:

I will have continued work but i will have to let go some very good employees which is depressing.

If they are available in 3 months I will rehire them in a heart beat.

• Sorry to hear about your declining business Darren, hope you ride out the storm.
    At least you have time to build your beautiful guns then...:)

Nice gun in your post, but I was thinking, why do you carbon wrap?
    Is it for looks or for structural strength, allowing you to build slimmer guns?

/Henrik

• Thanks Henrik.

The Australian economy is screwed but we will keep ticking over.

I am using carbon on guns that honestly do not need it for structural integrity. I am risk adverse and want to gain as much knowledge and experience as I can.

The goal is to make slim and strong spearguns and have zero failures. Baby steps. My next gun that is getting coated is another mid handle that does not need carbon but it is pretty stuff.;)

• Gun works.

Species: Yellowtail Kingfish (Seriola lalandi)
    Weight: (via a cheap set of spring scales as I drowned my good set :( ) 18kg
    Fork Length: 1085mm
    Stoke level: 9/10.....still wanting to break the 20kg barrier.

Took him in 12 - 15m from a school of 12 - 15 all the same size plump size (our winter kings are fat)
    He was about 5m from my spear tip. Though this gun is a trial gun, I have learnt a lot and with a little more lead near the muzzle this will be a good gun. Its nice and accurate but with a speed needle attached sinks slowly with the muzzle slightly lighter than the rear. I like my guns to be slightly muzzle heavy so when I drop it there is little chance of the shaft aiming at a person.

I am now ready to get cracking on the next one.

• Well done sir!! How can you add mass to a CF gun? Do you have to compromise the Cf or just "bolt it on"? Maybe a heavy ingot under the line anchor?

I will post some pictures when I am done. The procedure will be to replace the existing line anchor with one with a longer base plate. This will allow me to install the appropriate amount of lead in a new pocket concealed by the anchor plate.

I am keen to add a splash of colour to this gun too. Just because........