GoPro HERO3+ features for spearfishing diving video

• Just got my hands on the new Gopro HERO3+. There are a bunch of new features which can be discussed in this thread. The most obvious one that should be mentioned is the new housing. It's a little smaller and more compact than the previous HERO3 housing. Looks like Gopro chose to up-sell the previous standard HERO3 housing as an optional HERO3+ Dive housing to those who want to feel safe diving with the Gopro.

I think buying the HERO3 dive housing is a must for spearfishing videos. Not necessarily because of the higher underwater rating, 60m versus the new housing with a stated 40m depth rating. But because the new housing doesn't have the secondary latch, without which the housing door can potentially open from the speargun recoil (if mounted on a speargun). You'd have to resort to a backup solution like a zip-tie or rubber band around the housing latch.

GoPro HERO3+ cameras are available from www.FreediveStore.com with a free diving accessory included.

GoPro HERO3+ new housing

• Is the lens bigger on the 3+ than the 3?
    Can you take some low-light photos with it so we can get an idea of the grain?
    Do you feel the upgrading from a Black 3 to a Black 3+ is really needed?
    Does this mean the GoPro 4 is gonna take another year?

BTW

I am surprised they decreased the waterproof rating on the new cases.

Edited once, last by Hardline ().

• Housing lens or camera lens?

I don't have time now to do these tests. I'm sure this information will be available online soon enough.

If Gopro statements about the hero3+ are to be taken at face value, then just the low light improvement will be worth it for our application. You can read about the other specs and decide if they're important enough.

I haven't heard anything about a hero4.

I am surprised they decreased the waterproof rating on the new cases.

I think there are more people that attach the gopro to remote control helicopters and planes, their heads, bikes, cars etc. than there are divers who'll take it deeper than 40m. I'm sure all those other users welcome the - lighter camera.

• 30% battery life improvement sounds nice. Does it take the same batteries as the Hero 3?

Is the lens housing the same size so that the caps fit it as well?

I agree about that housing. The double lock of the 3 is very comforting while diving. I'll take a look at the specs, but may end up picking up a silver 3+ for above water video.

• I tested the camera in low light conditions on land. I shot a video at dusk, it was getting quite dark. The video turned out brighter than how I perceived the lighting at that moment. I have to conclude the low light performance of the HERO3+ is excellent. I didn't have time to play with the settings so I used it straight out of the box. I don't know if the new auto light setting was on.

• Have you heard of the issues mentioned In this thread?
    Best flight controller for multirotors - Page 3 - RC Groups

Seems pretty silly on gopros part
    The issue seems to be :
    "GoPro decided that they wanted their new lens to be in focus between ~5 inches ... 4feet, unlike previous GoPros that were in focus from 6feet ... infinity. This cannot be corrected in software as the lens is the culprit here, not the software."

I was pretty excited for a the new hero 3+ I like selfies and all :laughing3:but want the camera that isn't designed just for that.
    Appreciate yalls input