How good are you with a tablesaw - Amazing wood art

• Unbelievable wooden shells. It is most obvious in the first pic, but they all appear to be pieced together from a BUNCH of sections. He's got some other pretty cool spiral artwork on his website.

http://steveg769.bizland.com/id13.html

• :holyshit: That is beautifeull stuff. Very professional. You need good imagination to come up with that type of quality. The third picutre is just sick. I bet he can make spearguns too;):thumbsup2: I always admire good art. But wood art is something else. Just what you can do with mother nature. :thumbsup2: Thanks for sharing:)

• Beautiful artwork. I don't understand are you implying that it's made only using a table saw?

I was, but I think I was in error. On his website somewhere, are some pictures of complicated wooden gears that he made, using only a tablesaw, and maybe a scroll saw. I carried that thought over in my mind, but I looked later, and he doesn't say exactly how he makes the shells or spirals.

Edited once, last by Guest ().

• He glues lots and lots of pieces and make the center circle and work adding more pieces to make the spiral form like the patter that is on the page and then finish everything carvin and sanding and clear coat and all this playing with the pattern of the wood cut on a table saw with angles:0

Pucho

Pucho
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico

• Hello. I am Steve Garrison - maker of the shell sculptures you are talking about. I found this forum while going over my site visitor statistics and thought I would drop in and answer a few questions. Thanks for all the compliments!

The shells are made with segmented construction. There is about 22 or so segments per revolution, and each segment is cut from a wedge shaped piece of wood. The Nautilus-like form starts very small and grows with each segment added. I use a scroll saw in the beginning and then later as the outermost part of each segment is cut out of the thicker side of the wedge I use a bandsaw. The segments are surfaced perfectly flat before they are glued together. Each of the shells pictured above make close to two revolutions upon itself. All of these except for the bottom shell are made from eastern red cedar. The shell pictured on bottom is fiddleback maple.

The gears I have pictured on my site are made with a tablesaw or scrollsaw. When I first invented the technique I used a scrollsaw, but sinse then I have figured out how to do the same thing more accurately with my tablesaw.

The nesting spirals are made with a top-secret technique I keep in an underwater safe protected by sharks with high-powered lasers mounted on their heads. :D

• Welcome Steve, and thanks for providing a little bit of explanation of the construction. Are the shells hollow throughout? The nesting spirals on your website boggle my mind. I have no idea how you do it, but I'm in awe.

By the way, Steve, I first found the link to your site on a post at the Practical Machinist forum, if that helps you in any way.

• :welcome1: Steve glad to have you on board :yourock: those are definitly pieces of Art. I'm really impressed with the mad skills. Hmmmm as a spearo i wonder :thinking:how a spiral speargun might look like:rolleyes1::laughing3:.
    Hope you can show more creations. I went to the website and i tell you, i was thinking how in the hell he did it. and then i quit thinking is just to good to start thinking how you do it.:thumbsup2:

• Thanks everyone! Yes, the shells are hollow throughout. The segmented construction makes it much easier than hollowing a solid block carving and lets me be more creative with grain patterns and colors. The nesting spirals or "helix forms" is what I usually call them are my favorite sculptures to make. The shells seem to be everyones favorite so that's what I end up making most of the time. I am hoping to get a few of them into a show this summer at del Mano gallery in L.A.

Thanks for mentioning where you discovered my work. I can use all the exposure I can get!

I've never made anything intended to get wet like a speargun. If I did, I would use teak. Teak has been used as decking on submarines - I think that makes it water and weatherproof.

Steve Garrison
    www.stevengarrison.com