Thoughts on Cressi Comanche 110cm?

• Hello everyone!

It's about time that I decided on getting a speargun. Due to the lack of availability of (decent) polespears here in the UAE, and my futile attempts at making an effective homemade fish-gathering weapon (5 foot polespear and a hawaiian sling with weak cycle innertubes as a band:crazy:), I've decided on investing in a decent reef gun.

I must mention that my budget for the aforementioned gun is (relatively) tight!
    However, I've found a dealer that sells the Cressi Comanche 110cm for a price that fits within this budget (with a reel!). I have checked out other options from shops within the UAE, and found some good guns (RA railguns and some smaller Omer guns), but none of them fit within my rather limited budget :(.

I'd like to know what the people on this forum think about this gun, and if they've had any experience with it. I've heard great things about this gun from Mediterranean spearfishing forums. I also understand that this gun works well for the species targeted by spearo's from that region.

I'd like to know if anyone has used this gun for a long period of time, or has experienced any issues related to mechanical failures with the Cressi Comanche.

I'm not going to be hunting any large or open water species with this gun. At the most I would target large groupers, snappers and spanish mackerel, but nothing "stronger" or larger than that. What do you guys think? And what are your thoughts on the gun in general?

I will consider everyone's thoughts on the gun before making the purchase!
    Cheers!:)

• I've seen widely varying opinions across different forums. Here at Speardiver, there has not been any discussion about the Cressi Comanche.

Any opinions, insights or thoughts about this gun?

• It's an older style euro gun without a rail/track, made for plinking small mediterranean fish, so I don't think you'll find anyone here using it.

Handle has a good angle, so it should be comfortable to move underwater. Trigger and mechanism casing is plastic, so don't expect it to be very durable.

• I've owned a Comanche in the past. It is a very good and reliable "old fashioned" euro speargun. I have catched almost everything with it. You cannot put two bands on it because the trigger will become hard to pull, but with a single couple of bands, it works very well and shots straight, fast and smooth. It doesn't need a rail because the bands are in line (parallel) with the shaft. The best configuration for me would be a RA 6.6 shaft and S45 (17.5 mm) bands.

Try to get the S45 bands when you buy it, maybe paying a slight difference. Stock bands sucks.

Get an additional shaft when you buy it because they're weak. Or even better, get a RA 6.6 shaft when possible.

FYI Several world championships were won by spearos using the Cressi Comanche; Renzo Mazarri (3 times) and most recently Stefano Bellani. It is not a bad speargun at all, just a little obsolete. But for the price, you can't beat it ;)

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Thanks for the input and advice, Dan and Marco!:)

I've heard of many users here (in the UAE) changing the trigger mech's and muzzles for the comanche, making it slightly more capable.
    Marco, I'll make sure I buy an extra RA shaft for the gun! The S45 bands too.
    Will be driving around to a few old fishing stores today, I'll check out their selection of guns (if they have any). Many "fishing stores" here stock random spearfishing equipment.

• I like mine a lot. A couple things that I like to do to them is:
    *Saw off the loading butt
    *Remove the safety
    *Make sure the line release disengages without any tension being put on the shooting line... You can test this by engaging the shaft, wrap the line around release, then pull trigger and gently pull the shaft forward and out of the mech. If the line release is still down holding your line, you need to take out the trigger cassette, push out the pin that holds the line release engager, then file some plastic off of it to make it swing freely. I found that there was too much friction on mine, and it was slowing down and throwing off shots.
    *If you get a Rob Allen shaft you may need to modify the trigger housing by removing the metal piece that lines the top of the housing. It has a 90degree bend on the end of it. If you cut off the metal at the bend it gives you the extra clearance you need for loading the RA shafts.

***If you're gonna be buying a new shaft and new bands for it immediately you may as well get a Speardiver or Rob Allen gun. It's gonna cost about the same and they come stock with those components. You can however get out there and kill plenty of fish for dinner with a stock Cressi Comanche. Good luck!

• Hmmm... Hatterasfreedvr, this is the first time Im hearing about the issue with the line release. I'll look into that. I greatly appreciate the input!
    The extra shaft is a sure purchase... The bands, I have to see, I suppose.
    I'll keep you guys posted about the purchase and the in-water 'testing'! :thumbsup2:

Thanks, everyone!

• I would call the line release issue more of a fine tuning thing than an issue. Hope ya poke some nice fish! Dive safe:toast:

• Hello all!
    And many thanks for the feedback on my initial question! :)

After a lot of time, and after considering many options, I ended up picking a Rabitech Stealth Pro 110cm. It's got 2 16mm rubbers, and is in the open muzzle configuration with a single wrap of mono.

I have yet to get it wet! Most likely next weekend (Friday). :(

Again, thanks everyone for all the information and advice.
    This forum has greatly improved my knowledge of spearfishing equipment!

Cheers,
    Nish