Fins/socks question

• Hi all,

I have a question, up to now I have used my fins without socks, if the water was colder I would just brave it. I have a 3mm and a 5mm wetsuit and recently bought 3mm socks, which fit in my current fins if I put the sock inside the footpocket and then put my foot inside, it is tight but bearable.

I was wondering how you guys deal with different sock thicknesses? Do you have a fin per sock thickness or do you just have one pair of blades and a footpocket per sock thickness (this sharing the blade between them)?

I was thinking about wearing the 3mm socks and gloves with my 5mm wetsuit, since when I wear the 3mm wetsuit it isn't that cold but it is when I wear the 5mm. I am afraid 5mm gloves is too thick and makes it dificult to use my hands so I went with 3mm thinking it is better than nothing.

Thanks,
    Gabriel

• I don't have your problem but in Europe, they buy their foot pockets to fit 5 mm socks and in summer, when they wear 3 mm, they use fin keepers.

If you feel warm and comfortable with 3 mm, why use 5 mm? The less thickness of neoprene you wear, the less lead you need. ;)

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• When I bought my fins I tried them on with my socks. I originally used 3mm bodyglove socks but I have been using the 2mm argos which seem to work about the same for me. I do however use fin keeps with both sock types.

• If fin keepers are required, then the wrong size or type of foot pockets are being used. Foot pocket fit is where I wouldn't cut any corners. Even if I had to have two sets, one for winter and one for summer diving. What's another $100, against all that energy lost in the transfer from leg to blade from improperly fitted foot pockets? No one wears shoes that are the wrong size for them! Shoes can easily cost more than foot pockets and everyone has several pairs. Fortunately here in Florida this is not an issue, for foot pockets and shoes, I wear flip flops year round :)

• The pockets fit well but over time the rubber loosens so I went with fin keepers. It would be nice to have a second set of fins but for the time being I am happy with the fins I use.