Speardiver Belt Reel DIY, cheap and easy

• K, I just worked out a very easy and cheap way to make a belt reel for those spearos that use or are thinking of using a belt reel. I know that many spearos use floats, that many do not like belt reels and that many spearos have no need of a belt reel, but this thread is not about all that. This thread is for the spearos like me that want to or are using belt reels and that want / need a very good reel on a belt; easy, cheap and fast.
    Sooooooo-----

I just bought two Speardiver speargun reels from Freedive store. (The service was fast and perfect as always, even here on the other side of the world in Guam). I have been using Speardiver reels since the first prototypes became available, like over 5 years or so. This is THE BEST speargun reel I have ever used. IMO, the Speardiver reel is way better than any other reel I have every used in +25yrs of spearing and I wanted to put a second one on my belt instead of using floats
    I converted this gun reel to a belt reel in like 30min or less and cost me next to nothing and it works great. Only tools needed is a standard mono crimping tool, about 8inches or less of the mono we all have lying around and one crimping sleeve. You can use almost any size mono and sleeve that you already have that you use for shooting line or whatever.
    1. Turn the reel face down on the table
    2. Run the mono through 4 of the holes on the back base plate of the reel.
    3. Lay your weight belt across the back of the reel.
    4. Slip on the crimp sleeve and adjust mono through the sleeve to the correct tightness on the belt and cut mono
    5. Remove belt and crimp sleeve.
    6. Slip belt back through crimped mono (this is easier if you wet the rubber belt first).
    7. Done

If you change your mind and want to use the reel on a gun=just slip the reel off the belt and onto your gun mount. :D
    Hope this helps

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited once, last by hau ().

• Nice simple innovation.
    Question, when a pelagic runs out the line on your main and the belt reel starts to hum.. how will it be guided? on a gun it is usually led through the front on the gun but even if not it can be controlled by turning the gun to face the running fish, when its on your belt with line running at 90 degrees to the fish how is this accomplished? Just asking as i have never seen a belt reel, but always assumed they were front facing to allow you to pivot your body with the fish run.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Good idea Hau, nice tutorial.. and pictures. :D

• Nate---thank you sir-----just don't tell sdeisen :D

Dude george---I like my belt reel on my left hip. With my reel / belt system, and using the Speardiver reel, you can turn the reel to ANY 4 directions by just lacing the mono differently. If you want the reel on your right hip, just thread the reel onto your belt so that the line guide faces forward when on your right hip. If you want the line guide to run parallel to your body (towards your head), just thread the mono through the reel base plate holes differently when you first apply the mono before crimping ==done :D
    PS---I love your reports and pictures and posts. Nice job sir

Spearfishing Store

• Nice clever idea hau! This works especially great with the speardiver reel. From what ive seen as hau said people use them on the hip with the guide sideways.

• Reefchief---Thank you for your kind words and posting the RA video. And yes, the Speardiver reel is THE best reel IMO.

Below is a copy/paste of my opinion of the Speardiver reel on sdeisens thread.

'"I've been using the Speardiver Composite Reel on my railgun now for long enough to feel like I can post about it. The reason I say long enough is because the other reels I had worked well enough too, at first."---sdeisen

"X2 and perfect evaluation of the Speardiver Reel sdeisen
    I've been using the Speardiver Reel for years now. I have NEVER had a moments problem with this reel ever. The Speardiver Composite Reel is everything I have ever needed from a speargun reel. The biggest liability with using ANY gun reel, IMO, is that the reel birdnests or locks up somehow as a big fish makes a fast/hard run and I lose my gun. This has never happened to me with the Speardiver Composite Reel
    I love this Speardiver Composite Reel because:
    1. dependability of this reel
    2. folding crank handle
    3. line feed out design
    4. light weight
    5. ruggedness
    6. great price
    7. perfect functioning drag
    Hope this helps"---hau

Using my belt reel mounting system, I can now use a Speardiver reel on my gun AND my belt. :D

Spearfishing Store

Edited 5 times, last by hau ().

• Have to bump this insanely clever way to get a belt reel for a quarter of the price. Can't wait to rig my own up!

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Have to bump this insanely clever way to get a belt reel for a quarter of the price. Can't wait to rig my own up!

Thank you for your kind words brother.
    You can even hook this belt reel on your float (if you can catch the float as it wizzs past you :) )
    Hope this set-up works as good for you as it has for me. :toast2:

Spearfishing Store

• What about mounting it to a loop of webbing using really short small bolts and fender washers. Then you could use a fastex clip or quick release of some sort to connect/disconnect the reel from your belt. When it is disconnected you can hang on to the reel with the webbing loop keeping the line far away from your body as you ascend.