Hawaiian Poke

• Shootz...for da bruddah who wen ask for da recipee for Shoyu Poke. Ahi, kaku (cuda...one of my favorites for this), nenue (old school Kupuna kine poke), Ono (wahoo)! K'Den :

Yeah, no problem brah.

Ahi Shoyu Poke

1 lb. fresh ahi (cuda, wahoo, yellowtale...any mellow, buttery raw fish) cut into cubed, bite-size pieces...about 3/4" - 1"
    1/4 cup shoyu (soy sauce)
    1/4 cup chopped green onions (tops included)
    1/4* cup chopped Maui onion (or yellow onion)
    2 tsp. sesame oil
    1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
    1 chili pepper, cored, seeded and diced ( I use only Hawaiian chilis, or no chilis at all...optional)
    Hawaiian salt ( you can use course sea salt, not rock salt, but coarse sea salt)
    2 tsp. toasted sesame seeds

Limu (Hawaiian seaweed) is used but I've not seen it available outside of Hawaii, so I don't add any when I make this on the mainland.

In a large bowl, sprinkle salt onto cubes of fish and hand mix around. The salt will eventually "melt" into fish. Then combine all the ingredients, and mix lightly. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours before eating.

Eaten one cube at a time. Enjoy

Best eaten with Waipio Valley Poi!

Aloha,
    Makoa

• Nice! I love a good ahi poke. I have been thinking about making some poke with some local fish out here (halibut, calico, bonita) but haven't had the chance. Although I make a lot of ceviche. If you want to ad a kick to the poke some chopped kim chee and or siracha is ono too. Your pictures are making me hungry.

• Looks shmean makoa! I miss reading your posts. Gnna try this with nenue and to'au.

• Many thanks Makoa. That picture in the first post is making my mouth water. I have some cero mackerel that should work. Kind of like ono. :thumbsup2:

(I had to spell your name with a capital because this stupid spell check kept changing the a to an s )

• Right on! You'll love da nenue...onolicious! To'au another favorite. Post pics brah of both.

HUI KOA KAI O HAMAKUA
    MAHALO KE AKUA
    E MALAMA I KE KAI

• Neveh tried cero macks, only Spanish macks. Let us know how it turns out.

Aloha!

HUI KOA KAI O HAMAKUA
    MAHALO KE AKUA
    E MALAMA I KE KAI

• Yeah, Hawaiian nenue depending on the age and size are between white and gray flesh.

Nice pronunciation clarification!

HUI KOA KAI O HAMAKUA
    MAHALO KE AKUA
    E MALAMA I KE KAI

• Thanks Makoa,

I actually just ate a nenue i shot on the grill tonight, I waited a little too long to eat it poke style. I will try this with the next one I get- probably won't be from the Hamakua coast though, your side has been looking pretty gnarly recently!

• Yeah, mo bettah...I relish a rough sea! Always get rough conditions at da point with the trades blowing...only local and dedicated watermen out shooting fish.

You'll enjoy the nenue poke style. Old school poke...:thumbsup2:

Aloha

HUI KOA KAI O HAMAKUA
    MAHALO KE AKUA
    E MALAMA I KE KAI