Maximum distance for spear penetration?

• Ok Experts,

What is the Maximum Penetration Distance from the spear tip to the fish for any Speargun?

George tells me 20 foot. Which makes sense to me. I got a lead on a 18 inch Pipe I can have for my speed test fixture that is 100 foot long.

I figured a way to haul a 40 foot section, Strapping it on a backhoe on a trailer and hanging part of it over a big Dump Truck.

If only need say a 30 foot that would be easier. 10 foot for speargun or polespear, 20 foot for the shot...

• Spent some time looking for specs.

This distance sure is common place for OEM's. Actually not too surprised.

"In the my opinion category" I found some 25 foot and 32.5 foot callouts.

• It may just be me - sorry - but I don't understand either the concept or the methodology :confused1::confused1:

• It may just be me - sorry - but I don't understand either the concept or the methodology :confused1::confused1:

It might be me.

How far can your blue water speargun shoot and still get the tip though the fish?

Measuring from tip of spear before the shot to the fish.

• :) hahahahahah but I bet it would still be in the 20 ft range but it would be a penetration shot through a whale!
    John I am yet to see a gun manufacturer not boldface lie about shooting range but penetration range is even shorter than shooting range.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• :) hahahahahah but I bet it would still be in the 20 ft range but it would be a penetration shot through a whale!
    John I am yet to see a gun manufacturer not boldface lie about shooting range but penetration range is even shorter than shooting range.

That was my thoughts as well, So much hype in advertising. It's typical of many markets other than spearfishing.

I started this in a new thread vs. the Velocity thread thinking it would be easier to find. Be interesting if OEM's read this and post what their gun capability really is. Time will tell, we all know they go thru the various forums.

I'm going to stretch out my Blue water Koah gun and measure what length came on the gun. Looks Like I got the same gun you got George. I sure like my gun, All of my other band guns are junk.

• My koah 65 with 4 bands has never disappointed me unlike most every other gun I have fired.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele