Shark concern

• I wanted to pose a question and im sure that I will get some jabs from those out there that were born knowing everything about being a spero but im going to ask anyways.
    I fully understand that when one goes hunting you have to expect to have visits or encounters with large toothy predators. I can see how if you are on air you can tuck under a ledge and wait it out or take somewhat of a defensive stance. But not being on air leaves you on limited time. So what is your advise for the beginner on dealing with visits from the stars of shark week?
    I'm not scared or overly concerned. I just want to be prepared

• Ok so aside from the powerhead. Do you look to make a swift exit..... continue hunting if it's not acting aggressive. I know that every situation is different and everyone will react in a different way. Just want to see what the general consensus is.
    All I have to relate it to is archery hunting for elk in bear country. I'm no stranger to extreme hunting around dangerous predators but I'm also not dumb enough to think that my experiences with bears and lions at 10,000 ft have equiped me to know anything about dealing with sharks below the surface. But aside from personal experience the best way to learn is to ask people that have the experience.
    Thanks for your helpful input

• I am by no means experianced, but I've so far had encounters with bulls, sandbar, dusky, spinner and blacktips. They all seem to approach you differently but for most part its a cautious and curious type approach. Being aggressive with them, swimming towards them, jabbing at them has so far worked to convince them I'm nothing they need to mess with and they move on pretty quickly. This has all been floating on the surface with no fish in hand. Though one did start circling me shortly after he ate a fish I shot. The first encounter freaked me out, it gets me less so everytime, but I still have a healthy respect for them, keep my head on a swivel and am prepared for one to turn on me unexpectadly.
    I had one rush me on the bottom while holding a grouper, I dropped the fish and calmly swam to the surface. Lost sight of both, when I got to the surface I started hauling up the fish and never saw the shark again.

• I would say you dont need to use a powerhead unless ABSOLUTELY LAST RESORT necessary. Most will leave you alone with a few pushes from the end of your gun. If you see a shark in the ocean...enjoy the sight because most populations are severely declining. No need to use a powerhead and kill a shark just because its swimming around you. Most just want your fish.

• Are you talking about using or carrying Frank? I disagree with the PH not being essential to have on you. In a shark encounter having a powerhead turns you into a predator, with a predator mindset. It allows you to intimidate a shark, so it will leave. Or in the case where it is not affected by your posture, to hurt it (without losing your gear) and make it leave. Sure most sharks we encounter here will leave you alone, but there's always the possibility of one that will not be deterred. Then you'll wish you had a powerhead.

Great pics :thumbsup5:

• I am by no means experianced, but I've so far had encounters with bulls, sandbar, dusky, spinner and blacktips. They all seem to approach you differently but for most part its a cautious and curious type approach. Being aggressive with them, swimming towards them, jabbing at them has so far worked to convince them I'm nothing they need to mess with and they move on pretty quickly. This has all been floating on the surface with no fish in hand. Though one did start circling me shortly after he ate a fish I shot. The first encounter freaked me out, it gets me less so everytime, but I still have a healthy respect for them, keep my head on a swivel and am prepared for one to turn on me unexpectadly.
    I had one rush me on the bottom while holding a grouper, I dropped the fish and calmly swam to the surface. Lost sight of both, when I got to the surface I started hauling up the fish and never saw the shark again.

You sound very experienced and gave great advice.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• I don't need a powerhead to feel like a predator with a large shark. A well placed spear at close range would be the end of that encounter. In 35 years of experience with tanks and without I have only needed to defend myself with a shark once, it didn't end well for the 10 foot shark.

George Steele

• Don't be too worried about the ones you can see, the ones that get you are the the ones you never saw coming. Ive had more trouble with goliath groupers then sharks as far as being pesky and taking fish.

• I wanted to pose a question and im sure that I will get some jabs from those out there that were born knowing everything about being a spero but im going to ask anyways.
    I fully understand that when one goes hunting you have to expect to have visits or encounters with large toothy predators. I can see how if you are on air you can tuck under a ledge and wait it out or take somewhat of a defensive stance. But not being on air leaves you on limited time. So what is your advise for the beginner on dealing with visits from the stars of shark week?
    I'm not scared or overly concerned. I just want to be prepared

1. "PH is your friend". -----I never leave the yak without it. That said, please to realize that I have been shooting guns for 55yrs. Before it became illegal, many a GG got a new .357 3rd eye. :) If YOU are NOT familiar with shooting guns SAFELY and IF you do not have a good spearing background I would CAUTION you on buying and using power heads.
    2.Also suggest that you get all speared fish out of the water ASAP and into something that does not leak blood into the water.
    3. Never hunt sharky water alone.
    4. Practice spearin so that as many of your shots are stone shots as possible.
    5. Get a shark spike on your muzzle, as having a spike will do several things for you.
    a. You can use it to poke an aggressive shark or eel
    b. Having a muzzle spike will teach you REAL quick to respect the muzzle of your gun so that if/when you do
    get a PH you do not accidently blow you head or hand off.
    c. Many times I have used my spike to stab a hog or lionfish.
    6. My OPINION is to give up my speared fish to a shark ONLY if it is a next to last option. Last option== to poke im in the eye with my .357 and RELOAD ASAP.
    7. I personally am NOT in the camp to spear an aggressive shark. Last thing we as spearos need is for some PETA shark lover seeing a picture of a shark with a spear in it. WE have ENOUGH bad press as it is already. ALSO, spearin a large shark could cost you your spear (lost or bent bad), gun/reel/float line/float. .357 just make a hole. This is just my personal opinion.
    hope this helps

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited 3 times, last by hau ().

• I don't need a powerhead to feel like a predator with a large shark. A well placed spear at close range would be the end of that encounter.

You'd rather lose a $50 spear and possibly your gun? ok.

Also putting a hole in a shark with a powerhead will not necessarily kill it. A spear where it matters eventually will.

• You'd rather lose a $50 spear and possibly your gun? ok.

Also putting a hole in a shark with a powerhead will not necessarily kill it. A spear where it matters eventually will.

Powerheads are illegal here gents, my point is without it you are still able to defend yourself, you don't need a Powerhead to be in a predatory mind set.

George Steele

• Are you talking about using or carrying Frank? I disagree with the PH not being essential to have on you. In a shark encounter having a powerhead turns you into a predator, with a predator mindset. It allows you to intimidate a shark, so it will leave. Or in the case where it is not affected by your posture, to hurt it (without losing your gear) and make it leave. Sure most sharks we encounter here will leave you alone, but there's always the possibility of one that will not be deterred. Then you'll wish you had a powerhead.

Great pics :thumbsup5:

I don't see a problem with carrying one for that ONE shark that just wont give up. But 99.9% of the time...I think most situations can be resolved without killing or harming the shark. Drop your fish, put distance between you and the shark with your gun and make your way back to the shore or boat.

If a large adult white shark is in full predator mode towards you, then slip on the powerhead...but I feel like that situation would be a rare occurrence. Just trying to put it out there that just because a curious shark swims in close to check out your catch doesn't mean you have to put a powerhead to it's skull. Use it as a last resort!

Sharks need our help! :thumbsup2:

• Here's an example of me deterring a shark displaying aggressive posturing using my hand. (I didn't have my gun at the time) I spear poked (not fired) in the same general area would work as well.

The shark was swimming away from me and then made a complete 180, dropped his pecs and opened his mouth as he came at me. I held my position, waited till he got close enough and pushed him on the side near/on the gills. This would be better executed with something other than a hand (in case you hit his mouth) but the theory is still the same.