Spearfishing in Norway

• I will be headed up to Kristiansund for a course in a few weeks. Was wondering if anyone knew is it worth me bringing my gear and what some of the rules and regulations are? Or where I could find more information?

Thanks

Josh

• I can hook you up with a diver there. Having a local would be my choice.

PM me your contact info and I can send it to him. He was just in Bahamas, guessing he will back there soon.

Here is some crazy fish he shoots up there

• Norway is a great place for spearfishing, and Kristiansund is a hotspot - you should definately bring your gear.
    A lot of Danish spearos go there every year and are often guided by a very experienced local Ørjan Dyrnes.
    I will ask around and get his number for you...

PM sent...

Here is a clip from Kristiansund
    Kristiansund 2013 - YouTube

Edited 3 times, last by onkelhedde: clip added ().

• Kristiansund is probably the best spot for spearfishing in Norway. Big cod, pollack and saithe are the main attractions. Usually good visibility and heaps of kelp forests (not as big as in California) with rocks and sandy patches in between. Beautiful underwater scenery. You can also find anglerfish (one of my favourites) and different kinds of flatfish (plaice is probably most common) on the sand. Halibut are also around, but not so common. There are also a lot of scallop spots and you can find the occasional wolffish. If you manage to get in touch with Ørjan (through onkelhedde's info) that's your best bet. If he can't get his number shoot me a PM; I have it. Water temperature is around 17 C at the moment .
    Happy hunting!

• Nice video, Looks like a fun place to go diving. I like the cold water, from just being used to it. Keeps your dead fish cold too.

Warm water is nice, just feels weird to me.

How are fishing regulations from governing body?

• There are minimum size limits on most fish in the sea, but no bag limits or fishing licenses required. Foreigners can fish/spear as much as they like, but it is illegal for foreigners to sell fish (residents can sell fish up to a certain limit) or bring more than 20 kg fillets (or maybe 15) + a whole trophy fish out of the country. No spearing in fresh water, except pike (for some strange reason). All anadromous salmonids are illegal to spear in the sea (charr, salmon, trout) as well as eel. Lobster are off limits for divers all year; short pot fishing season in the fall.

• There are minimum size limits on most fish in the sea, but no bag limits or fishing licenses required. Foreigners can fish/spear as much as they like, but it is illegal for foreigners to sell fish (residents can sell fish up to a certain limit) or bring more than 20 kg fillets (or maybe 15) + a whole trophy fish out of the country. No spearing in fresh water, except pike (for some strange reason). All anadromous salmonids are illegal to spear in the sea (charr, salmon, trout) as well as eel. Lobster are off limits for divers all year; short pot fishing season in the fall.

Sounds like fair and well thought out regs. Not used to that here in California. At some point a diver will need an attorney with them to read the regs.

ASIDE: Shooting Pike, Just for reference, If you are in Montana , USA, there are certain areas where Northern Pike are on the Kill list. Looks like they are in the wrong areas by accident and messing up normal life cycles. Other Northern states in USA might have similar options. Verify first with fish and feather Depts.