New to spearfishing

• Hey everyone,
    My name is David and I'm from southern Mississippi. I have actually never been spearfishing but would really like to get in to it. I have just never really been sure if there is really anywhere close by to go. It seems people go out to the rigs in the gulf and freedive off them, but I wanted to see if anyone ever goes around any of the barrier islands. Trying to stick to coast areas of AL, MS, LA. Wouldn't mind going off the rigs but would like to get comfortable with everything in a little easier area before going out there. Any info would be helpful. Just trying to see if it is worthwhile before I go dropping money into equipment. Thanks.
    David

• HI david i have not been to the barrier islands, but i would suggest 1st to take a few freediving classes to learn how to freedive safely & know your limits etc. Then if you like it get your dive equipment, you may be able to buy a new/used speargun, a good goggle that fits your face well, snorkel, fins, dive float, tag line, wetsuit, to start with. Use the buddy system when you dive. I don't know about the area your from, or how long the drive is to the ocean. If you do get dive gear & have someone that all ready dives (that person or person's can teach you how to spearfish & help you with the do's & don'ts that comes with the learning curve) when you do start spearfishing & take that one breath, dive down, stalk & shoot your first fish you'll know if you got the dive itch. You will love doing dives more & more. IMO

Aloha oceans

• Welcome.

Yeah man, try to hook up with someone there who dives. I'd love to dive the oil rigs up there. Some of the richest marine environments there are.

I don't know how much water time you have….I assume you're a good swimmer? There's a lot to learn. It becomes a life style. You'll spend way too much money. Your girlfriend will dump you. :laughing:

Be careful. Dive safe.