Another noob! San Diego, CA

• Hi everyone. I'm fairly new to diving and spearfishing. I started working on my breath hold for freediving last summer. I went from 30 seconds to two minutes with about a month of practice. This summer I picked it up again and now can hold for 2:18. It doesn't translate well in the ocean though. I can only do about 45 seconds of diving/swimming. I got PADI certified 2 months ago, but I don't plan on doing that much scuba diving. I really want to be doing freedive spearfishing.

I bought my first gun this week, a 100cm Rob Allen, a float line and a float. I'll hopefully be shooting it for the first time tomorrow. I plan on staying inshore mostly in La Jolla and maybe some diving in the Mission Bay Jetty. I'd like to get out to the kelp beds, but I don't have a boat or kayak (it's on the wishlist).

If anyone wants some company and doesn't mind a new guy tagging along, let me know!

-Matt

• Welcome. I know several spearos that only dive from shore in SoCal and they shoot Halibuts, YT, Caluco, occasionally a YT and/or WSB. Beautiful area but watch out for crazies on boats and water skies.

• Welcome!!! First and most important, get a dive buddy. Develop a routine where he watches your back when you dive down, and you rest and watch his back when hes down. We call it "one up one down" by keeping a closd eye on each other you can learn what to do and what not to do twice as fast. No fish or depth is worth not comming home, something that happens all to often in our comunity. Safety first, motivation second, in time all else will follow. Good luck