Custom Speargun: 1.3m Exotic Woodie Euro

• A good mate asked me to build him a 130cm Euro Woodie, this is the final product:

Specifications

Barrel: Wenge, Ash and Padauk
    Finish: Liquid silk epoxy
    Handle / Mechanism: Beuchat Marlin

We will be testing it out tomorrow.

• Honestly I would put that on my wall and get vex if anyone touched it!

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• No worries Aussie, ther conditions on the weekend are looking good. Water still very cold but hopefully we can find some good fish.

Cheers Dude but these are tool of our trade and need to get wet. They are very durable and easy to maintain. :thumbsup2:

• How did you find working wenge? Everything I've read says it's got a severe blunting effect on tools, splinters easily and can be problematic sanding due to differences in density. Local hardwood supplier just got in a wenge boule. I was thinking of picking up a slab, that and a new ripping blade:-)

• Wenge is like a super model, beautiful to look at but a pain to live with. It has a very high silica content so it splinters like a demon and bluntens bits and blades quicker than any other timbers I use.

But as a contrast timber it really has a place in my workshop. Small passes when routing and planing are essential. Expect the very last pass you make to go horribly wrong, that is just how it is to work with.

Trick is to make a dam around the splintered area and fill with clear epoxy. Then hand sand to shape and it is almost invisible. Only when you put a light source at 90 degrees that you will see the depth of the epoxy.

It is also very heavy so you will need to laminate it with lighter timbers if you want your gun to float.

Good luck with your build.

• Thanks for that information. I haven't purchased any wenge as of yet but was thinking of using a strip in the next mixed wood blank that I make... I'm up for a challenge.

Ha ha, super model beautiful but a pain to live with. That's great!