JBL mini magnum

• I tried using the search but came up empty. I apologize if this is already on here. I am looking for opinions on the jbl mini magnum. I found one that is relatively inexpensive and am wondering if it would be ok for a first gun and what inherent problems it might have.
    From what I have read, JBL is viewed as inferior but im not sure as to why.
    thanks

• If u can get it for like 50 bucks or less get it just to see if u even like spearfishing. Most ppl started with that gun or some variant of it.

Thing is if u like spearfishing u will want something else real quick

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• They are loud and shoot slow. They use a heavy slide ring that slows the shaft down as well. The trigger mech in the older pipe guns (basically all of them without the new kitto mech) cannot handle much band pull and when they are under tension they become almost impossible to fire

i like to spear fish

• I own one, my son spears with it sometimes. Its 30 years old. It has killed amberjack, grouper, snapper, and jewfish. It has 2 bands and a 5/16 shaft. It still shoots, but it is mostly sentimental value now. Buy it, it will kill fish. I am a firm believer that the person holding the gun is more important than the gun for the most part. Hell, when I first started, a pole spear was all I had. When I could afford a speargun, ( rene cavalero) I thought I had died and gone to heaven. You can get other guns after diving some and finding what you like. I personally like the rear handle arbaletes like Picasso and Rob Allen. I also own custom CO2 and wood guns, but the fish that I shoot with them are just as dead as the ones that I shot with the pole spears and mini magnums years ago.

• Kc is right. I have killed a lot of fish with a pole spear and with my old Ab biller. I would still not spend any money on inferior gear now that I know better

i like to spear fish

• I think that the question is: How much do you want to spend on your first speargun? You can get a very good brand new one for little over 200 bucks.

If you buy the one you mention, you'll end up buying a bigger/better one and will spend more money at the end.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Very good point marco. I've been eyeballing the pathos or the speardiver phantom. Any other suggestions I would gladly hear them.

• My roommate has the phantom. Well built, solid gun. The writing on the side is coming off a bit, but everything else is pretty much like new. Plus we really put our gear through hell. I used it all last dive(7hours), and it worked well. The accuracy was a little off, but I think it is because of a minute bend in the shaft. Can't go wrong with a phantom imo...and if anything does Dan is there to fix it ;P

• I have never tried a Pathos. They look nice though.

I've shot my buddy's phantom and I like it very much, solid, accurate, simple and reliable. Actually, if you watch the video at the website, that's me shooting a wahoo with it. I told Dan to use it if he wanted to. :)

But euros are not for every one. You have to get used to them.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.