Flats rig for diving ?

• In general....any comments, thoughts, advice, etc are appreciated. 14.5', weight with motor approx. 425lbs, 3" draft with 2 guys and gear, 25mph, 2003 4 stroke 15hp Yami tiller. I've piloted plenty of boats out/in of inlets, knowing the dangers of that and the variables (which inlet, weather, routes, etc) I wud be going out of Boca or Hillsboro, can't remember which one my friend lives closer to...but mentioned it's more forgiving than other inlets...and his judgement is trusted, as he's been doing this a long time, accomplished diver, ocean rescue, native to the area. Just wanted to get some of u guys thoughts or comments on this boat for spearfishing....obviously getting out there on calm days.
    Thanks in advance for any of your comments..I'm familiar with most of you guys from much reading on this forum and consider your knowledge and experience top notch.

• It's not bad for calm conditions. Just dont make it too top heavy since the hull is so shallow. Dont want to be on the news getting rescued by the coasties because you capsized. Conditions can change quickly sometimes. So just try to keep the cooler and everything else low to maintain a lower profile. And get a dive flag too bud.

Chase

Relax & Go Spearfishing

• Thanks Chase, good point on the low profile!! I have a console I chopped down in size (width/depth/height) I was considering putting it in to house a battery, switch panel, grab rail, dry storage, etc....was concerned about the added weight (est. 70 lbs w/ battery) but it's midship and I'm pretty small guy anyway...guess weight distribution is what I'm concerned with. But haven't thought about keeping the low profile, although it's not very tall, something to consider, thanks. Ah yes, the cooler I throw up there for a platform working shorelines with trolling motor, hook n line.

• Hows that IPB treating you? I was close to picking one up to shoot around the bay and flamingo in. As far as seaworthiness out of the inlet it would have to be a really nice day (Cubans float over in worse :laughing: ) that little boat is worth its weight in gold for inshore lobster though :cool2:

• The IPB has been good, very sleek looking profile sitting in the water, always get compliments at the ramp. I don't think he pulls from this mold anymore, he has some more detailed molds now, little more $$. Agreed on the calm days thru the inlet. I'm installing 2 over size bilge pumps soon....but the gunnels are a little low, gets spooky in a 3-4' chop.
    Thanks for viewing.

• Weather would be the most important factor. I have a BC 201 proguide that I dive out of regularly and feel confident in it's capabilities, with that said during mini season this year in Marathon I was 5 miles offshore when the wind picked up. I stuffed the bow twice on my ride in (by myself) and each time took on water to almost gunnel height, had I of been in an open boat like the IPB I would have surely sunk. Be careful in whatever you choose. After September I won't even risk taking the small boat out fwiw. By the way there are time when I don't feel comfortable taking my Contender out of Boca or Hillsboro...

• Thanks DownTime. I appreciate your story and warning. I think IF I ever did go out of an inlet it would not be far (and realize it don't take long for weather to change, even wen close to shore). My friend has only seen pics of my boat, not sure he realizes how low it is....he mentioned a guy he knew that ran dive charters 9th a 14' Panga....but a Panga has a higher bow and maybe higher gunnels than mine. At any rate, I am very spooky about this, as I do not want to lose my rig, or worse. Thanks again for viewing and the message!! Will heed!!
    A Contender, that's a BOSS boat right there!!!!

• Thanks DownTime. I appreciate your story and warning. I think IF I ever did go out of an inlet it would not be far (and realize it don't take long for weather to change, even wen close to shore). My friend has only seen pics of my boat, not sure he realizes how low it is....he mentioned a guy he knew that ran dive charters 9th a 14' Panga....but a Panga has a higher bow and maybe higher gunnels than mine. At any rate, I am very spooky about this, as I do not want to lose my rig, or worse. Thanks again for viewing and the message!! Will heed!!
    A Contender, that's a BOSS boat right there!!!!

Pangas are built for open water, even the small ones. Also be mindful of the tides, sometimes on outgoing tide it gets scary bringing in my 25' through Haulover. Also you don't have to go far to shoot nice fish, I have shot NICE hogs in 5-8ft of water in sheltered water

• Pangas are built for open water, even the small ones. Also be mindful of the tides, sometimes on outgoing tide it gets scary bringing in my 25' through Haulover. Also you don't have to go far to shoot nice fish, I have shot NICE hogs in 5-8ft of water in sheltered water

I agree. An outgoing tide with wind and waves coming in would make it pretty easy for a wave to come right over the bow on the flats boat.
    But I guess it's all about knowing your boat and it's capabilities. And learning how to drive it and picking your days. But as mentioned, the weather reports aren't always right. :confused1: I'd be sure to have at least a 1500 gph bilge pump. :)

• Thanks guys, japsw....point taken about "not having to go far" for nice fish....use the boat within its limits and be content. Yes I've experienced outgoing tides and "incoming" winds, on a bigger boat tho!! Definitely something to be watching!!
    Hank, exactly..I've learned a lot about this boat over the last year or so (all river/lagoon)....like I said, being my first flats rig, it's sometimes been an eye opener. Agreed on the 1500 gph...maybe two.
    Thanks again fella's. All very good tips/reminders. I'll keep posting on decisions, experiences, etc.